Subject: L2TP tunnel authentication in Win2000.

From: Srinivasan Chakravarthy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 20:46:50 -0800

Hi,

I have a question about enabling L2TP tunnel authentication in Windows2000. By
default, Win2000 doesnot do tunnel authentication. I went to msdn.microsoft.com
to find the info but i am not able to locate the tunnel authentication enabling
there. I would be grateful if you could me know where i can get the info.

Thanks & Regards,

Srinivasan.

---

From: "Glen Zorn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 22:57:29 -0800

> there. I would be grateful if you could me know where i can get the info.

Try this:

Turning on L2TP Tunnel Auth
Registry key:
  HKLM/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class
Look for a GUID, the first component of which ends in 72 (e.g.,
4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318.  Under this key, find the key with
DriverDesc=WAN Miniport (L2TP).  Add a REG_SZ value called Password and set
the value to the desired shared secret.  The same secret is used for all
connections and the L2TP driver will always negotiate tunnel authentication
if this value exists.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 21:57:30 +0900 (JST)

Hi,

From: "Glen Zorn" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: L2TP tunnel authentication in Win2000.
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 22:57:29 -0800

> connections and the L2TP driver will always negotiate tunnel authentication

  Is this Windows 2000(server/professional) LAC Client or LNS ?

  I'm try W2K Pro following setting, but it was not work ...

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0001]
"MaxVcs"=dword:000003e8
"MinWanEndpoints"=dword:00000000
"MaxWanEndpoints"=dword:000003e8
"WanEndpoints"=dword:00000002
"Characteristics"=dword:00000029
"ComponentId"="ms_l2tpminiport"
"InfPath"="netrasa.inf"
"InfSection"="Ndi-Mp-L2tp"
"ProviderName"="Microsoft"
"DriverDateData"=hex:00,40,4b,de,e9,27,bf,01
"DriverDate"="11-6-1999"
"DriverVersion"="5.0.2175.1"
"MatchingDeviceId"="ms_l2tpminiport"
"DriverDesc"="WAN Mini Port (L2TP)"
"NetCfgInstanceId"="{2A515228-EC05-421C-AE4E-6E3FA1763DA6}"
"EnableForRas"=dword:00000001
"EnableForRouting"=dword:00000000
"Password"="TEST-L2TP-TEST"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Added this value.

  BTW, The W2K LAC Client have LNS name?

  I'm not found Register value on W2K.

  Thanks,

====
Naoto "nat" MATSUMOTO <[email-masked]>

---

From: Srinivasan Chakravarthy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 14:45:41 -0800

Hi Glen Zorn,

L2TP tunnel authentication is enabled in W2K after i made the changes you suggested. Thanks for your help.

Hi Nat,

I am using W2K prof LAC client to dial. I could see the W2K sending the challenge AVP. Do you still see the
problem ? Are you adding the Key in the registery or a value ?

Thanks & Regards,

Srinivasan.

---

From: "Glen Zorn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 18:00:56 -0800

>   Is this Windows 2000(server/professional) LAC Client or LNS ?

As I recall, the same setting works on all versions, LAC or LNS; however,
it's been at least 6 months since I dealt with this, and I don't have a copy
of Win2K handy to play with.  It's also possible (though unlikely) that a
last minute change was made after I left MSFT.  There must be someone on
this list from Microsoft, though, so I'll defer to their expertise. Sorry.