Subject: When will LAC answer the call?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 15:48:40 +0800

Hi,

Q1: When do LAC answer the call and do LCP negotiation? I think it may answer
the call before starting a session or after receiving ICRP. Is that right? And I
want to know which one we usually adopt. I remember rfc2661(section 7.4) says we
will answer the call after we receive ICRP, does this sequence have to be
obeyed?

Q2: I think there may be some ambiguities in protocol rfc2661, that in section
4.3, there are some terms which have made me confused. what does the AV refer to
in function "b1 = MD5(AV + S + RV)"? It is attribute type or attribute value?
From paragraph just before, I found "the Attribute Value AV", it seems that AV
is "the attribute value", but prior to this paragraph, there's a sentence"Next,
An MD5 hash is performed on the concatenation of:+the 2 octet Attribute number
of the AVP...", it seems the AV should refer to this "attribute number of the
avp", but what's "attribute number", is it just attribute type? And I have
checked that attribute number is found only once in rfc2661. I think the AV in
"b1=MD5(AV+S+RV)" means attribute type, is that right? Or am I wrong thoroughly?

Regards
ZZF

---

From: "Glen Zorn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 11:05:38 -0800

> will answer the call after we receive ICRP, does this sequence have to be

Not necessarily.  The LAC might answer the call, negotiate LCP and tunnel
the call (or not) based upon the NAI for example.

> in function "b1 = MD5(AV + S + RV)"? It is attribute type or

Attribute type.

> avp", but what's "attribute number", is it just attribute type?

Yes, it's the Attribute Type field from the AVP to be hidden. I agree that
this may be confusing; we should change it in RFC2661bis.

> And I have
> "b1=MD5(AV+S+RV)" means attribute type, is that right?

Yes.

> Or am I
> wrong thoroughly?