Subject: l2TP with dynamic routing.

From: "Ahmed, Hany" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 07:38:17 -0800

Hi,

I was just wondering about the possibilty of using dynamic routing protocols

(RIP/OSPF etc..) through the L2TP  tunnel to exchange network topology
information between the remote client and the LNS,  is there any related
draft to address any problems or concerns.

Is there also any new AVP that indicates the ability of the remote end to
accept
certain routing protocols ?

thanks alot   

Hany A. Ahmed
Software Engineer
Intel of Canada, Ltd.
2 Eva road , suite 220 
Toronto, ON
416-622-8930 
[email-masked]

---

From: James Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 11:14:39 -0500 (EST)

Ahmed, Hany writes:
> information between the remote client and the LNS,

If you're running IP over that PPP link then, yes, you can run routing
protocols.

>  is there any related

Such as what?  Is this different from a routing protocol over any
other kind of point-to-point link?

On-demand and bandwidth-limited links have special problems; those are
addressed in the many RFCs dealing with such situations, such as
Triggered RIP (RFC 2091).

> certain routing protocols ?

I don't see why you'd want that.  If you had just PPP over a direct
serial link, how would you detect that the peer supports a routing
protocol?  Doesn't that same method work here?

-- 
James Carlson, Internet Engineering       <[email-masked]>
SUN Microsystems / 1 Network Drive         71.234W   Vox +1 781 442 2084
MS UBUR02-212 / Burlington MA 01803-2757   42.497N   Fax +1 781 442 1677
Second Edition now available - http://people.ne.mediaone.net/carlson/ppp