Subject: Potential new charter

From: "W. Mark Townsley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 17:58:07 -0500

As described in the synopsis from the consensus of the Pittsburgh
meeting, L2TP would include work necessary for providing a common L2
tunneling mechanism, and NOT the requirements for circuit emulation in
general. Specifically, requirements for timing considerations, QoS
issues, etc. are outside the scope of the group. We will only provide
the protocol extensions for dynamic setup and transport of L2 tunnels
(e.g. service type, any additional AVPs needed during setup, etc.). 

It is my opinion that another group should be chartered for circuit
emulation requirements in general. The output of this group should
motivate extension of various protocols within their respective working
groups as necessary in order to meet the requirements set forth.

------

The Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP), defined in RFC2661, is an
extensible protocol for dynamic setup of tunnels to transport PPP frames
over an IP network. The L2TP Extensions working group will provide a
forum for discussion and development of extensions to L2TP.

RFC2661 is a product of the PPP Extensions Working Group, and thus is
focused primarily on tunneling of PPP. L2TP has roots in tunneling of
layer two protocols other than PPP (see RFC2341). Extensions to L2TP
defined in this working group may include tunneling of other layer two
protocols, including circuit oriented protocols such as ATM and Frame
Relay or bridging applications such as tunneling of ethernet frames. The
scope of this work will be limited to that necessary to provide a common
layer two tunneling transport mechanism. 

The group will: 

Define and advance standard MIB for L2TP management. 

Produce documents describing how L2TP operates over link types other
than IP (e.g., ATM, Frame Relay, etc.) 

Identify and define specific parameters and modes of IPsec in order to
aid interoperability when IPsec is used to secure L2TP traffic. 

Define extensions for layer two protocols to be transported using L2TP
with coordinated input from other working groups.

Define and review the definition of any additional IETF AVPs  or control
messages which are of interest to the group.