Subject: On Meeting Minutes...

From: "W. Mark Townsley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 02:02:18 -0500

Let it be known to any that it is not plainly obvious: Any consensus
reached during an IETF meeting for this group that is clearly reflected
in the meeting minutes or a meeting synopsis is an implicit request that
those with an opinion that were not able to express it at the meeting
take the time to express said opinion on the list. If I hear nothing
from the list, it is very likely that I will expect that the consensus
in the meeting was representative of the group's consensus at large. 

- Mark

---

From: "Glen Zorn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 13:00:18 -0800

W. Mark Townsley [mailto:[email-masked]] writes:

> take the time to express said opinion on the list.

Implicit requests do not belong in minutes.  Minutes are descriptions of
events.

> If I hear nothing

I'm sorry, but I could have sworn that the job of a WG chair was to
_determine_ WG consensus.  I realize that this would require a bit more
work, but an explicit request for comments from WG (that is to say, the
list) might easily have avoided all this nonsense.

---

From: "W. Mark Townsley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 18:11:09 -0500

> Implicit requests do not belong in minutes.  Minutes are descriptions of

And events have affects.

That's why, at least in this case, I posted a separate synopsis to the
list that was hopefully even more clear than the minutes themselves on
this subject. I have to believe that those being blindsighted by this
didn't read these emails and have not been tracking or reading the
drafts being published on the subject. Perhaps I should have sent yet
another message with "WE MAY BE RECHARTERING L2TPEXT!!! READ THE SERVICE
TYPE DRAFT!!!" in the subject, but many people's spam filters may have
automatically deleted such a horrendous looking warning. So perhaps
something in between would have been better to solicit the attention of
those who don't care about or don't have time to read about what
happened during the meetings. I'll shoot for that next time. 

> list) might easily have avoided all this nonsense.

Might have. You know what they say about hindsight...