Subject: Private Group ID

From: Danny McPherson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 14:15:10 -0700

We've found a need for an AVP that would perhaps [arguably] 
fall under the semantics of Private Group ID.  It's use is 
essentially similar to that of RFC 2764's VPN-ID 
(Section 5.3.1).

Anyways, I beleive folks can think of lots of interesting 
things to do with it, though I'm not sure if using the 
Private Group ID is the right way to go, per the association 
w/RADIUS.  Though more so, perhaps, based on the somewhat 
puzzling looks I receive from the L2TP gurus when I 
mentioned using it.

So, I'm wondering if folks would be opposed to defining a 
VPN-ID AVP that looks something like this:

0                   1                   2                   3
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|M|H| rsvd  |      Length       |           Vendor ID           |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|         Attribute Type        |           VPN-ID 
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
                      VPN-ID (cont..)
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
          VPN-ID (cont..)       |      DESC (arbitrary length)  |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Basically, the VPN-ID would be a fixed 8-octet integer, followed
by an optional arbitrary length ASCII string.

Does anyone have feeling either way, or perhaps an alternative
proposal?

Thanks!

-danny

---

From: "W. Mark Townsley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 20:27:10 -0500

How about some proposed text about what the VPN-ID would be used for
with L2TP? The biggest complaint about the Private Group ID is its
fairly loose application definition. RFC 2764's definition of a VPN-ID
is somewhat ambiguous to me as well.