Subject: A Question Regarding the Layer Two Tunneling Protocol "L2TP" Mana gement Information Base

From: Nurit Sprecher <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 13:35:11 +0200

In the Layer Two Tunneling Protocol "L2TP" Management Information Base there
is a column defined in the l2tpSessionStatsTable   named
l2tpSessionStatsPhysChanId that indicates the physical channel identifier
for the session.
I thought that the l2tpSessionStatsPhysChanId relates to the whole tunnel
and not to a certain session. 
Can you please explain me the need for   such an attribute in the
l2tpSessionStatsTable?  What is the meaning of the Physical channel in the
L2TP over IP case?

---

From: Evan Caves <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 20:11:47 -0700

The Physical Channel Identifier object in the MIB is a reflection of
the 'Physical Channel ID' AVP that may have been issued during the
session setup. It has no specific interpretation (it is vendor
specific).
It is meant to be used to indicate which physical channel on the LAC
is associated with this particular session. Each session has its own
physical channel identifier. Please refer to RFC 2661 for additional
details.

evan
-

> Nurit Sprecher wrote:
> 
> In the Layer Two Tunneling Protocol "L2TP" Management Information Base
> there is a column defined in the l2tpSessionStatsTable   named
> l2tpSessionStatsPhysChanId that indicates the physical channel
> identifier for the session.
> 
> I thought that the l2tpSessionStatsPhysChanId relates to the whole
> tunnel and not to a certain session.
> 
> l2tpSessionStatsTable?  What is the meaning of the Physical channel in
> the L2TP over IP case?