Subject: [L2tpext] Question on L2TP Differentiated Services Extension draft

From: Naveen PN Gowda <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 20:45:21 -0800

Hi,

I have a question in draft "L2TP Differentiated Services Extension".
	
In section 6, page 5, 

"In order to help the session terminator to distinguish one session
 from another when looking up the DS value in its local or remote
 policy database,the session initiator MAY use the Sub-Address AVP to
 carry other session information in addition to the Calling Number AVP
(ICRQ), the Called Number AVP (ICRQ, OCRQ).  "

In case where we want to retrive policy database from remote, like Radius, 
then how can we get the DS value before authentication phase at LNS
can complete ?

Is it not a good idea to send DS value once the authentication phase is
complete (in case of LNS), as mentioned in:
	draft-elwin-l2tpext-ipservices-01.txt

This also eliminates the following restrictions mentioned in the
following lines, in Section 6, page 5.

"As described in [RFC 2661], the Sub-Address AVP is an ASCII string for
encoding additional information, and it may be necessary for the
administrators of the LAC and the LNS to coordinate interpretation of
the value in this AVP.  For instance, the administrators may agree upon
using user name in this AVP when carrying PPP in L2TP payload."

Thanks
Naveen