Subject: [L2tpext] comment/question on draft-ietf-l2tpext-l2tp-atm-02

From: "Vipin Jain" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 21:46:59 -0800

> 3.2 Quality of Service
>
>   In order to provide a desired Quality of Service (QoS), and possibly
>   different qualities of service to different client connections, an
>   implementation MAY use more than one AAL5 connection between LAC and
>   LNS.
Can someone clarify what it means by "an implementation MAY user more than
one AAL5 connection between LAC and LNS"? Does it mean traffic for one
tunnel can possibly take two VCs? Does it mean control traffic could be
segregated from data traffic?

A minor observation: If one L2TP tunnel were to use multiple ATM connections
(PVCs in particular), an endpoint would be forced to use its 16bit tid space
for all nodes it peers with, not an individual 16bit tid space on a per peer
basis - because there is no way to specify ATM address for either remote or
local endpoint.

appreciate your thoughts.

thanks,
-- vipin

---

From: "Rene Tio" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 13:16:50 -0800

comment/question on draft-ietf-l2tpext-l2tp-atm-02The original intent was to
have one tunnel per PVC, since we never specified one tunnel over multiple
PVCs.

  -----Original Message-----
  From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Vipin Jain
  Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2001 9:47 PM
  To: [email-masked]'; [email-masked]';
[email-masked]'; [email-masked]'
  Cc: [email-masked]'; Mark Llacuna
  Subject: [L2tpext] comment/question on draft-ietf-l2tpext-l2tp-atm-02

  A minor observation: If one L2TP tunnel were to use multiple ATM
connections (PVCs in particular), an endpoint would be forced to use its
16bit tid space for all nodes it peers with, not an individual 16bit tid
space on a per peer basis - because there is no way to specify ATM address
for either remote or local endpoint.

  thanks,
  -- vipin