Subject: [L2tpext] FW: Service-Name TAG

From: Nurit Sprecher <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 17:18:30 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: 	Nurit Sprecher  
Sent:	Monday, December 24, 2001 15:44 
To:	PPPoE Mailing List (E-mail); L2tp (E-mail)
Subject:	Service-Name TAG

Can someone tell me what is the common attribute which is carried within the
service-name tag? I understand that it may be the ISP name or the CoS. Can I
expect that the service name tag will be identical to the qualified domain
name that appears in the user name in the PPP authentication phase?
Thanks in advance, Nurit.

---

From: James Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 12:56:32 -0500 (EST)

> service-name tag?

L2TP doesn't have a service name tag.  Are you perhaps thinking of
PPPoE?

> I understand that it may be the ISP name or the CoS. Can I

For PPPoE, no.  The contents of the RFC 2516 "Service-Name TAG" is an
arbitrary string assigned by the administrator of the PPPoE server.

Out of curiosity, I have to ask: if you were to expect that it had any
relation to PPP authentication, how would your system behave any
differently?  In other words, what did you plan to do with the
Service-Name TAG contents?

-- 
James Carlson                                  <[email-masked]>

_______________________________________________
L2tpext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l2tpext