Subject: RE: [L2tpext] L2TP Header Compression

From: "Jitender Arora"<[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 07:26:14 -0800

Hello ,

        Is it possible to make the provision in the L2TPHC  for the tunnel
id ....as in our implementation of the L2TP , we can have multiple tunnels
between the LAC and the LNS ......So it won't be possible for us to use the
L2TPHC if we cannot have the tunnel id ....

Regards,
Jitender 

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Feldman [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2002 2:35 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [L2tpext] L2TP Header Compression L2TPHC-PPP-Protocol optional
AVP

	Dear Mr. Valencia and L2TPers,
	reading
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l2tpext-l2tphc-04.txt,
I didn't quite understand the usage of the L2TPHC-PPP-Protocol optional
AVP.
	The draft says: 
"Another optional AVP, ``L2TPHC-PPP-Protocol'', may be sent immediately
following the ``L2TPHC-No-Header''. If both sent and received, its Value
field indicates the PPP protocol number which will be the single value
carried in the payload of all PPP packets, and the payload transmitted
through L2TPHC will omit PPP HDLC flags and control, as well as the one
or two byte protocol field. The receiving side would then have to
recreate a suitable PPP header and insert it onto received payload."
	Does this mean that:
a) Only one NCP can run at a given time on the many sessions of the
Tunnel? Or is it per session?
b) There will be absolutely NO LCP packets on this tunnel? Else, how can
they be identified? 

	Thanks in advance,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Daniel Feldman
System Architecture Team Leader, IC4IC Ltd.
office: +972(4)959-4644 ext. 121
mobile: +972(55)99-0299
fax:    +972(4)959-4944
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

_______________________________________________
L2tpext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l2tpext

---

From: "Daniel Feldman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 17:36:17 +0200

Hi Jitender,
the whole idea of L2TPHC is reducing the size of the header. In order to
do this, it is assumed there is only one tunnel per session. It would be
possible to use bits 3 and 4 (for example), in the same way bits 1 and 2
are used, to determine if there is a tunnel or not. If there are enough
people interested in the issue of multiple tunnels...
    Regards,
        Daniel.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jitender Arora [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2002 5:26 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [L2tpext] L2TP Header Compression 

Hello , 

        Is it possible to make the provision in the L2TPHC  for the
tunnel id .....as in our implementation of the L2TP , we can have
multiple tunnels between the LAC and the LNS ......So it won't be
possible for us to use the L2TPHC if we cannot have the tunnel id ....

Regards, 
Jitender 

-----Original Message----- 
From: Daniel Feldman [ mailto:[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
] 
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2002 2:35 AM 
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked] 
Subject: [L2tpext] L2TP Header Compression L2TPHC-PPP-Protocol optional 
AVP 

        Dear Mr. Valencia and L2TPers, 
        reading 
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l2tpext-l2tphc-04.txt
<http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l2tpext-l2tphc-04.txt
> , 

they be identified? 

        Thanks in advance, 

_______________________________________________ 
L2tpext mailing list 
[email-masked] 
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l2tpext
<https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l2tpext>