Subject: [L2tpext] Keeping the spam away

From: "W. Mark Townsley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 13:56:27 +0200

There has been a barrage of spam and virus postings to our list of late. Perhaps
even more annoying is the accompanying spam spewed by the various email virus
scanning utilities that do not know how to use the the "Errors-To:" field that
all messages from this list fill in with "[email-masked]" (which should
only bother me and the other mail admins as opposed to the entire list). 

I do not have access to a procmail-type filter to completely block messages or
do really fancy filtering, but I can add some regexps to match and hold postings
to this list for administrative action. I trolled the GNU mailman mailing list
and came up with a set of filters to block most emails with attachments and
installed them. Thus, please limit all email to plain text, or there will be a
posting delay and you might get a nasty email from me as well. In addition, I
added filters for the misbehaving "ScanMail" "InterScan NT" and "Antigen" virus
scanner replies that we have seen here. Finally, I installed at least one
signature regexp for each of the spam and virus postings we have received thus
far. 

Thus, to post to this list, please only include "text/plain" or
"multipart/signed" content types. Thus, no HTML postings, and no attachments.
Just plain text. Please see the following link for information on how to
configure your mail client to behave appropriately:

http://www.expita.com/nomime.html

All of this will not guarantee that you will not see any more spams or virus
posting to this list, but I hope it will limit at least some of the annoying
messages like those spewed of late. If absolutely necessary, I will restrict
posting to list members only, but would prefer to avoid this as it has caused
problems in the past.

- Mark

_______________________________________________
L2tpext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l2tpext