Subject: [L2tpext] Is the L2TPv3 Session ID globally unique, or just unique between peers?

From: David Clear <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 11:52:28 -0700

I hope someone can clarify this point.  I have not found it explicitly
written in the drafts.

If the Session ID is globally unique, does the IP address of the sender need
to be verified?

If the Session ID is only unique between peers, then there is no issue, and
a tunnel is uniquely identified by the 3-tuple (IPSA, IPDA, Session-ID)?

Regards,
David.

_______________________________________________
L2tpext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l2tpext

---

From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 10:08:39 +0100

> a tunnel is uniquely identified by the 3-tuple (IPSA, IPDA, Session-ID)?

It is unique between peers. Although a session can be uniquely identified by
IPSA + IPDA + SID, or I suppose more correctly by VPN_ID + IPSA + IPDA + SID
there are some implementation advantages to using just IPDA + SID.

Stewart

> pwe3 mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pwe3