Subject: [L2tpext] Control connection Tie breaker AVP : Need clarification

From: "Karthik Ravikanti" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 12:56:42 +0530

RFC 3931 says:

      "The Control Connection Tie Breaker AVP, Attribute Type 5,
      indicates that the sender desires a single control connection to
      exist between a given pair of LCCEs."

It further says:

      "The recipient of
      a SCCRQ must check to see if a SCCRQ has been sent to the peer; if
      so, a tie has been detected.  In this case, the LCCE must compare
      its Control Connection Tie Breaker value with the one received in
      the SCCRQ.  The lower value "wins", and the "loser" MUST discard
      its control connection."

So if the recipient loses, should he discard only the tunnels which he
originated and leave all the already established tunnels requested by
the winner intact?

But then the inclusion of the Tie Breaker AVP would not have achieved
the purpose of ensuring only one tunnel exists.

Am I missing something here? Please comment.

-- 
Karthik Ravikanti
Associate Engineer,
Primesoft I.P. Solutions
Block III, White House, Begumpet
Hyderabad.
http://students.iiit.net/~karthik_ravikanti
-------------------------------
Let There Be Sound!
_______________________________________________
L2tpext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l2tpext

---

From: "Karthik Ravikanti" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 19:06:00 +0530

Hi all,

Sorry for one more email, but here's my real doubt:

What is the purpose of the Control Connection Tie Breaker AVP?

1) To ensure that only one tunnel exists?

or

2) To ensure that only one tunnel is negotiated at the same time?
(That is both the peers have outstanding SCCRQs)

Thanks,

Karthik