Subject: RE: draft-stokes-vkompella-ppvpn-hvpls-oam-02.txt

From: Thippanna Hongal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 11:21:51 -0800

hi Olen,

Thanks for the reply, we have some more questions.

1) From the draft we understand that the vpls ping can originate either at 
the MTU or PE.
    And terminate at the PE or MTU depending  on whether the customer is 
connected
    at the MTU or PE. From the reply below

 >>You need the OAM label to prevent the packet from reaching customer devices.
 >>.Remember that if dmac2 is not known in the network, the packet may be
 >>flooded.  It would then reach PEs other than the one associated with dmac2.
 >>The OAM label allows these switches to prevent the traffic reaching a
 >>customer.

We understand that the OAM label terminates at the PE always. So does it 
mean that

Case A) (HVPLS) MTUs being connected to the PE, the PE has to examine the 
packet (TLVs) and decide to either forward/ flood to the MTUs
   Case B) No MTUS connected but directly connected to customers the PE 
must reply  back directly using the smac address?

2) In case A we believe that the PE must add OAM Label in addition to any 
PW label needed to send to the MTU/ Similarly when the MTU 
replies/requests  a ping it also must add an OAM label  which makes this 
OAM frame terminate at the PE.

3) Regarding the QAM label could you point us to the draft where the OAM 
label is defined for
    VPLS Ping.

Regards
hongal