Subject: Review of routing protocol extensions in L2/L3-VPN documents

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 17:54:07 -0800

Folks-

 Regarding the discussion that happened in the L2VPN and L3VPN working groups on
 splitting WG documents containing descriptions of extensions to routing
 protocols and submitting them to the protocol-specific WGs: we had a discussion
 with L2VPN, L3VPN, and IDR WG chairs and reached the following agreement.

 1. Appropriate level of technical review by the protocol-specific WGs needs to
    be ensured, regardless of whether extensions to a given protocol are defined
    in a separate document or not.

 2. To avoid extra delays, existing L2VPN- and L3VPN- related working group
    documents will not be required to move the parts of the documents that specify
    changes to BGP into separate documents, but will be referred for a review to
    the IDR WG.

 3. Several (not less than 2) reviewers from the IDR WG will be assigned to each
    document. The review will not be considered completed until all reviews have
    been completed and posted to the WG mailing lists.

 4. For the WG documents ready for advancement, the review process will be done
    during the WG Last Call process. In future, reviews will be conducted earlier
    in the process.

 5. Alex will work with other ADs and WG chairs on guidelines for documentation
    and review of the routing protocol extensions for future work.

-- 
Alex Zinin
IETF RTG Area co-Director