Subject: RE: BGP in L2VPN

From: "Paul Unbehagen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 09:38:42 -0500

If you are referring to:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hlmu-l2vpn-bgp-discovery-00.txt

Yes BGP does provide both extensibility and granularity of type of L2VPN w/
different AFI/SAFI values. It also provides a method of discovering VPN
endpoints in a different AS's.  As well as a method of easing the
provisioning model for the operator.  Since BGP is acting as a
auto-discovery method for LDP, the user is only required to be involved for
the creation of the forwarders.  BGP will then announce the existence of the
forwarders to all other PEs and the filtering rules of RT apply in a similar
manner as 2547bis.  Also the use of BGP for auto-discovery applies to both
VPWS as well as VPLS.  

- Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: John Smith [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2004 3:30 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: BGP in L2VPN

Hello,

Can anybody give me a brief idea as to how BGP is used in establishing
L2VPNs/VPLS. I am familiar with how BGP is used in 2547bis networks.

Is easy extensibility provided via AFI/SAFI in MP_REACH_NLRI the reason? Or
the fact that BGP can be used to span multiple networks the main motivation
factor?

Regards,
Smith

___________________________________________________________
Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" 
your friends today! Download Messenger Now 
http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/download/index.html