Subject: Re: wg last call on ldp-based vpls solutions

From: Yakov Rekhter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 10:00:38 -0700

Folks,

Consider the following example:
                                                          PE2-rs 
                                                          ------ 
                                                         /      \ 
                                                        |   --   | 
                                                        |  /  \  |---CE-3 
    CE-1                                                |  \B /  | 
      \                                                  \  --  / 
       \                                                 /------ 
        \  MTU-s                          PE1-rs        /   | 
         \------                          ------       /    |    
         /      \                        /      \     /     |      
        |   --   |   Primary PW         |   --   |---/      | 
        |  /  \--|- - - - - - - - - - - |--/  \  |          |    
        |  \B /  |                      |  \B /  |          |   
         \  -- \/                        \  --  / ---\      |    
          ------\                         ------      \     |     
          /      \                                     \    | 
         /        \                                     \ ------  
        /          \                                     /      \      
       CE-2         \                                   |  --    | 
                     \     Secondary PW                 | /  \   | 
                      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |-\B /   | 
                                                         \ --   / 
                                                          ------   
                                                          PE3-rs 
    
Assume that CE-3 sends a unicast packet to PE2-rs, but the
destination MAC address in the packet is unknown to PE2-rs.

Would this packet go to both PE3-rs and PE1-rs ? 

If yes, would PE1-rs send this packet over the primary PW, and would PE3-rs
send this packet over the secondary PW ?

Yakov.

---

From: Ali Sajassi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 14:44:03 -0700

>Consider the following example:

yes

>send this packet over the secondary PW ?

yes and the blocking is done by the MTU-s. This is analogous to STP 
operation where if the blocking is done by the MTU-S, both PE1-rs and 
PE3-rs would send data toward MTU-s.

-Ali