Subject: RE: wg last call on ldp-based vpls solutions

From: Sasha Vainshtein <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 20:31:41 +0200

Vach, Marc and all,

I have found that the draft in question proposes using the PWE3
LDP-based control protocol for distribution of Q-in-Q tags
between PE-rs and MTU-s (Section 10.1.1.1, the last para).

AFAIK, the PWE3 Control Protocol has been intended for
distribution of labels from the platform-wide label space.
I am not sure that it can be used "as is" for distribution
of anything else and would really appreciate a clarification 
from the authors.

One of the questions that, IMO, should be answered:

How can I limit the labels distributed to MTU-s to 12 bits
(so that they can somehow fit the Q-in-Q tags) without imposing
the same limitation on labels distributed to other PE-rs? And if
this is impossible, how does this fact affect the scalability
of such a solution?

Other questions involve possible interaction between LDP and
relevant IEEE protocols for VLAN registration etc.

With best regards,
                                   Sasha Vainshtein
email:     [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 
tel:       +972-3-7659993 (office)
           +972-8-9254948 (res.)
           +972-58-674833 (cell.)

---

From: Ali Sajassi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 15:00:14 -0700

>of anything else and would really appreciate a clarification

Given that Q-in-Q has evolved into 802.1ad with its own set of protocols 
and the standard .1ad should be used for provider bridges (Ethernet access 
network), then this paragraph can be removed.

-Ali