Subject: multicast pruning in VPLS, IPLS etc

From: "Shah, Himanshu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:55:07 -0500

We heard two presentations yesterday about multicast
pruning for VPLS.

We (IPLS authors) would like to offer yet another option
which applies to VPLS as well.

In IPLS we have discussed in detail about mp2p PW and
we have a dedicated mp2p PW per IPLS instance dedicated
for multicast/broadcast/unknown traffic. We think this
mp2p PW concept applies very well also for multicast pruning.

In this concept, PE would snoop local IGMP and PIM joins and leaves.
For a first local join, PE would erect a mp2p PW for that multicast MAC address
to all the member PEs of the VPLS/IPLS instance. And remove the
PW for the last leave, remove the Mp2p PW. All the mechanisms for 
establishing and processing data packets is described in the draft wrt
mp2p pw.  End result is the existence of multiple PWs (one each for a 
multicast address). 

There are some restrictions, such as direct host connection, etc, but would
work for most other cases that were described during the presentations.

Any opinions??

/himanshu

---

From: Irwin Lazar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:37:49 -0500

Folks,
If any of you are interested in submitting a presentation proposal for
MPLScon on multicast in VPLS environments please let me know.  I¹m planning
to have a round-table specifically focused on this issue, with various
scenarios being explored (both within VPLS as well as in RFC-2547
environments).  MPLScon is May 16-18 in NYC.

The call for presentations is available at
http://www.mplscon.com/speaker/submit_pres.html if you¹d like more info
about the conference.

Thanks,
Irwin

From: "Shah, Himanshu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 08:55:07 -0700
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: multicast pruning in VPLS, IPLS etc

For a first local join, PE would erect a mp2p PW for that multicast MAC
address 

Any opinions?? 

/himanshu

---

From: "Marc Lasserre" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 16:23:33 +0100

Himanshu,

Pre-setting multipoint PWs with all peer PEs at the first join, and relying 
on PIM/IGMP snooping means that traffic is replicated in the core and 
filtered out at the egress points. This prevents traffic from being sent to 
receivers that did not join but it does not optimize traffic replication 
between PEs.

Marc