Subject: Re: supporting both Ethernet PW and Ethernet VLAN PW on the same VSI on the same PE

From: "Asheesh Jadav" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 13:52:53 -0800

Hi,

  Can there also be a case where you need both these types of PWs to the
same peer simultaneously for the same VSI? If so, when would this
scenario arise?

TIA,

Asheesh

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tao Gu" <gu at centecnetworks.com>
To: <l2vpn at ietf.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 8:11 AM
Subject: supporting both Ethernet PW and Ethernet VLAN PW on the same
VSI on the same PE

Hi folks,

According to section 8 in draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-ldp-08.txt,

A VPLS MAY have both Ethernet and Ethernet VLAN PWs. However, if a PE is
not able to support both PWs simultaneously, it SHOULD send a Label
Release on the PW messages that it cannot support with a status code
"Unknown FEC" as given in [RFC3036].
My understanding is that a VSI on the same PE (say PE1) can support both
types of PWs, i.e., using a Ethernet PW to connect to PE2 while using a
Ethernet VLAN PW to connect to PE3. Can anyone confirm this? 

Tao,

This is correct as long as peer PEs support the corresponding PW types.

Marc

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best regards,

Tao Gu

--
Tao Gu

Centec Networks Inc.
www.centecnetworks.com

tgu at centecnetworks.com
Tel (0512) 62885358 ext 815
Fax (0512) 62885870
Cell 136-4621-3957