Subject: RFC 4761 on Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS) Using BGP for Auto-Discovery and Signaling

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 16:49:35 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4761

        Title:      Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS) 
                    Using BGP for Auto-Discovery and Signaling 
        Author:     K. Kompella, Ed.,
                    Y. Rekhter, Ed.
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       January 2007
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      28
        Characters: 65219
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-bgp-08.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4761.txt

Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS), also known as Transparent LAN
Service and Virtual Private Switched Network service, is a useful
Service Provider offering.  The service offers a Layer 2 Virtual
Private Network (VPN); however, in the case of VPLS, the customers in
the VPN are connected by a multipoint Ethernet LAN, in contrast to
the usual Layer 2 VPNs, which are point-to-point in nature.

This document describes the functions required to offer VPLS, a
mechanism for signaling a VPLS, and rules for forwarding VPLS frames
across a packet switched network.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks
Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and 
suggestions for improvements.Please refer to the current edition of the 
Internet Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization 
state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is 
unlimited.

This announcement is sentd by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...