Subject: VPLS networks.

From: "Seaton, Mark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 17:11:16 +0100

I wonder if anyone from the above dist list can point me to any papers
about vpls solutions over traditional layer 3 mpls solutions.  With pros
and cons and if VPLS is mature enough yet?

Many Thanks Mark Seaton Global Sales Enablement AT&T

[email-masked] Home Office +44 208-591-1075 Mobile +44 7802-461446
CCIE #4809

AT&T Global Network Services (UK) B.V. - UK Branch Registered office:
Highfield House, Headless Cross Drive, Redditch, Worcestershire B97 5EQ 
Registered in England: No. FC 21840/BR 4993

---

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 15:24:59 -0400

Mark,

For background reading, I suggest you read my paper in the Sept. 2006 issue
of IEEE Communications. :-)

As to whether it's mature, note that Verizon Business just went live
with its nationwide VPLS service a few weeks ago, and other service
providers have been offering VPLS services for quite some time.  If you do a
web search, you'll find a lot of articles about VPLS services, such as
http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=79759  and
http://www.networkcomputing.com/showitem.jhtml?docid=0402ro2 . There are
countless others.

Cheers,
Andy

On 4/10/07, Seaton, Mark <[email-masked]> wrote:
> about vpls solutions over traditional layer 3 mpls solutions.  With pros and
> cons and if VPLS is mature enough yet?
>
>
>
> *AT&T Global Network Services (UK) B.V. - UK Branch Registered office:**Highfield House, Headless Cross Drive, Redditch, Worcestershire B97 5EQ
> **
> Registered in England: No. FC 21840/BR 4993*
>
>
>

---

From: "Leon Chang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 00:13:27 +1200

We have deployed a nationwise MPLS network in 2005 offering both VPLS and
VPRN services. VPLS services is shown to be far more popular than standard
VPRN. Features and stability is dependent on the PE you have, because the
features offered are quite dependent on PE implementations. The technology
itself is quite mature.

Leon Chang
ccie, Kordia Limited, New Zealand