Subject: Re: IETF 70: Call for slots for Vancouver

From: Shane Amante <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 19:49:03 -0700

Himanshu,

The primary goal is to update the existing milestones -- complete ones  
that are behind us and assign new dates to those that remain  
incomplete, (e.g.: MIB's, OAM).

Second, since we've already taken on multicast, we should add that,  
with appropriate deliverables, to the charter, as well.

Given that we have a fair bit of uncompleted work from the original  
charter, (MIB's, OAM), plus "new" work (multicast) on our plate, I  
don't think we're in a good position to ask the IESG to consider  
taking on more new work, until we finish what we've got, (particularly  
around the OAM & MIB's).  'New' work items that may fall into this  
category are:
- Optimizations to improve 'scalability'[1] of VPLS, e.g.: 802.1ah or  
similar 'MPLS-only' methods
- Inter-domain VPLS -- I'm not sure if there is interest here, but it  
has been brought up in the past

So, I see two choices for the path forward:
1) Finish up what we've got (MIB's, OAM + multicast) and shutdown.
2) First and foremost, finish up what we've got (MIB's, OAM +  
multicast).  Then, work on addt'l work items defined above in the  
'new' work items category, (plus perhaps items that I haven't listed  
that others may bring forward).  Finally, evaluate shutting down.

Thoughts?

-shane

[1] Relative to this point, we seem to have briefly delved into this  
area without asking the question of what problem(s) do we *really*  
need to solve?  For example: optimizing MAC flushing, reducing the  
size of MAC tables, other?  We collectively need to agree what, if  
any, problems we need to solve before we take on any formal work in  
this area.

See attached for the new, proposed charter and milestones.  If you  
have opinions on the deliverables, dates or text, please speak up.

On Oct 30, 2007, at 6:28 AM, Shah, Himanshu wrote:

> Hi Shane,
>
> what is on the deck for charter update?
>
> /himanshu
>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Shane Amante [mailto:[email-masked]]
>> Sent: Monday, October 29, 2007 11:19 PM
>> To: [email-masked]
>> Subject: IETF 70: Call for slots for Vancouver
>>
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We have been tentatively granted a 1 hour meeting slot on:
>> TUESDAY, December 4, 2007
>> 1740-1840 Afternoon Session III
>> Salon 3          INT         l2vpn        Layer 2 Virtual Private
>> Networks WG
>>
>> One thing we are going to cover is a charter update.  If there are
>> other items you wish to discuss, please mail Vach or I.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> -shane
>>