Subject: L2VPN (Re-)charter: Inter-AS (+ multicast)

From: Shane Amante <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 16:46:45 -0600

Hi Loa, Florin,

------Loa wrote------
 > - for discovery specifiactions
 >  --  does this include automated Inter-AS discovery

I'm not sure I understand what part of the charter you're asking about. 
  Can you point out what section(s) you referring to, (scope, tasks 
worked on, etc.)?

 > - I would split the
 >  > Jul 2010    Submit Inter-AS VPLS and VPWS solutions to IESG
 >  milestone into two different mailstones

This may not be necessary.  See below.

------Florin wrote------
 > Goals and Milestones:
 > [..]
 > FB> We are missing here L2VPN Auto-discovery, Signaling and Inter-AS
 > (see draft-ietf-l2vpn-signaling-08.txt). This was already submitted to
 > IESG and is waiting in the RFC queue. Suggest adding the following item:
 >
 > "Done  Submit L2VPN Auto-discovery, Signaling and Inter-AS to IESG"
 > [..]
 >
 > Jul 2010    Submit Inter-AS VPLS and VPWS solutions to IESG
 > FB> I thought we already have these items addressed in
 > draft-ietf-l2vpn-signaling-08.txt ("Provisioning, Autodiscovery, and
 > Signaling in L2VPNs"), currently in the RFC queue.

Good point, however that draft largely only covers signaling for 
Inter-AS unicast L2VPN's.  It does not cover optimized forwarding of 
multicast within Inter-AS VPLS or VPMS.  What about the following 
suggestion?

In "Scope", we change #8 to be as follows:
---cut here---
8.  Define requirements and solutions for Auto-Discovery and Signaling
     of Inter-AS unicast VPLS and VPWS L2VPN's, in addition to Inter-AS
     multicast VPLS and VPMS Layer-2 VPN's.
---cut here---

The above would capture the existing, completed work in 
draft-ietf-l2vpn-signaling-08 for Auto-Discovery and Signaling of Intra- 
and Inter-AS VPWS and VPLS L2VPN's.  In addition, it should also capture 
the in-flight work on optimized multicast, both Intra- and Inter-AS, for 
VPLS and VPMS in the following drafts:
- draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-mcast-reqts-05
- draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-mcast-03
- draft-raggarwa-l2vpn-p2mp-pw-00 -- assuming PWE3 & L2VPN successfully 
charter work on p2mp PW's and l2vpn's
- TBD draft for VPMS l2vpn requirements

I really don't think it's necessary to create separate goals/milestones 
for every solution calling out that it's specific for Intra- or 
Inter-AS, since most (all?) existing work has included Inter-AS anyway. 
  (Of course, I am making a minor exception for the l2vpn-signaling 
draft down below).

In "Goals and Milestones":
---cut here---
As you suggested, add this:
Done	Submit Auto-Discovery and Signaling for Intra-AS and Inter-AS
         VPLS and VPWS Layer-2 VPN's
[..]
Also, as you suggested, delete this milestone:
Jul 2010    Submit Inter-AS VPLS and VPWS solutions to IESG
---cut here---

The Intra- and Inter-AS multicast work should already be reflected in 
these milestones, (no changes to these):
---cut here---
Nov 2008    Submit multicast optimization solutions for VPLS to IESG

Mar 2009    Submit I-D on Virtual Private Multicast Service (VPMS)
             requirements to IESG

Nov 2009    Submit Auto-Discovery solution for VPMS to IESG
---cut here---

Thanks,

-shane

---

From: "BALUS Florin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 17:11:10 -0500

Hi Shane,

Your suggestions below look good, I just have a comment on the following
text:
"8. Define requirements and solutions for Auto-Discovery and Signaling
of Inter-AS unicast VPLS and VPWS L2VPN's, in addition to Inter-AS
multicast VPLS and VPMS Layer-2 VPN's." 

It is understood that there may be other use cases or VPLS solutions
where additional multicast optimizations may be required as described in
the drafts you listed below. 

Still "Inter-AS unicast VPLS" suggests that the VPLS solutions developed
up to now where not able to transport multicast at all. Or I am aware of
some large HVPLS deployments handling multicast applications, including
heavy ones like IP TV. Will it be possible to use instead the following
text for 8:

"8. Define requirements and solutions for Auto-Discovery and Signaling
of Inter-AS VPLS and VPWS L2VPN's, in addition to Inter-AS solutions for
multicast-optimized VPLS and VPMS Layer-2 VPN's." 

Thanks,
Florin

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> On Behalf Of Shane Amante
> Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 3:47 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: L2VPN (Re-)charter: Inter-AS (+ multicast)
> 
> Hi Loa, Florin,
> 
> ------Loa wrote------
>   Can you point out what section(s) you referring to, (scope, 
> tasks worked on, etc.)?
> 
> 
>  > - I would split the

---

From: Shane Amante <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 17:03:26 -0600

Florin,

Your suggestion of rewording #8 looks OK to me.  Accepted.

-shane