Subject: Updates to L2VPN (Re-)charter: VPMS, OAM & Other Misc. Tidbits

From: Shane Amante <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 09:05:38 -0600

Just a reminder that we'd like to wrap-up the re-charter discussion by 
this Friday afternoon, April 25, 1700 MDT (UTC -6).  As such, I did 
another pass of the most current draft text of the L2VPN charter to tidy 
it up.  As part of that review, I've made the following changes:

1)  Native Service-Layer OAM.  I've changed the "will" to "may" in the 
following sentence:
| On
| the other hand, the L2VPN WG may define how to operate native service-
                                ^^^
| layer control, OAM or resiliency mechanisms on top of a VPLS or VPWS
| service.

This should align better with the "may" in the paragraph above it that 
L2VPN "/may/ define extensions to pseudowire management mechanisms ...". 
     Note, this is not to de-emphasize the importance of doing work in 
this area, but rather to strike a better balance in the language.  In 
addition, although there is active interest in the WG with respect to 
native service-layer OAM (e.g.: 802.1ag) and clearly expect that work to 
continue, the WG hasn't yet decided if it wants/needs to work on 
native-service layer control or resiliency mechanisms on top of VPLS. 
Therefore, a "may" seems more appropriate in that regard as well.

2)  Submit MAC learning Optimizations milestone.  I believe Florin 
raised a question about what is the following milestone:
| Nov 2008  Submit MAC learning optimization solutions for VPLS to IESG

I believe the above was a typo, therefore I'm going to remove the above 
from the charter, since that should be covered by the following milestones:
| Nov 2009  Submit scalability solutions for VPLS Control-Plane to IESG
| Nov 2009  Submit scalability solutions for VPLS Data-Plane to IESG

3)  VPMS.  Finally, at this point, I see no choice, but to remove VPMS 
(Virtual Private Multicast Service) from the L2VPN charter.  While there 
appears to be some interest in L2VPN to do this work, it seems fairly 
clear at this point that we are blocked on a decision as to whether the 
PWE3 WG will add P2MP PW's to its charter.  If/when PWE3 recharters and 
that WG reaches a decision on P2MP PW's, we will then entertain another 
re-charter to add VPMS to the L2VPN charter as well.

Please let me know if there are any comments or concerns with the above 
changes.  In addition, the latest charter text reflecting the above 
changes is at the following location:
http://l2vpn.tcb.net/recharter/l2vpn-recharter.txt

Regards,

-shane

---

From: "BALUS Florin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 15:45:59 -0500

Shane,
The charter looks good. Great job in addressing all the submitted
comments.
Thanks,
Florin 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> On Behalf Of Shane Amante
> Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2008 8:06 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Updates to L2VPN (Re-)charter: VPMS, OAM & Other 
> Misc. Tidbits
> 
> Just a reminder that we'd like to wrap-up the re-charter 
> discussion by this Friday afternoon, April 25, 1700 MDT (UTC 
> -6).  As such, I did another pass of the most current draft 
> text of the L2VPN charter to tidy it up.  As part of that 
> review, I've made the following changes:
> 
> 1)  Native Service-Layer OAM.  I've changed the "will" to 
> "may" in the following sentence:
> | On
> This should align better with the "may" in the paragraph 
> above it that L2VPN "/may/ define extensions to pseudowire 
> management mechanisms ...". 
>      Note, this is not to de-emphasize the importance of 
> doing work in this area, but rather to strike a better 
> balance in the language.  In addition, although there is 
> active interest in the WG with respect to native 
> service-layer OAM (e.g.: 802.1ag) and clearly expect that 
> work to continue, the WG hasn't yet decided if it wants/needs 
> to work on native-service layer control or resiliency 
> mechanisms on top of VPLS. 
> 2)  Submit MAC learning Optimizations milestone.  I believe 
> Florin raised a question about what is the following milestone:

---

From: Shane Amante <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 21:54:15 -0600

Thank you everyone for their help in re-drafting the L2VPN WG  
charter.  This e-mail now closes the re-chartering process.  We'll  
forward the new charter on to the IESG for their review and,  
hopefully, approval.

-shane