Subject: Results of Poll on BGP IPv4 Address Specific Extended Community

From: Shane Amante <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 20:59:11 -0600

Hello,

The following are the results and recommendation regarding the  
conflicting assignment for the BGP IPv4 Address Specific Extended  
Community, as per the following e-mail: <http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/l2vpn/current/msg02123.html 
 >.

The following are the results of the survey and subsequent questions  
I've asked of the respondents:
1)  We received a total of 4 responses.
2)  There are a total of 4 implementations, two for /each/ draft:
  + draft-ietf-l2vpn-signaling: 2 implementations
  + draft-ietf-l3vpn-2547bis-mcast-bgp: 2 implementations
3)  I've confirmed with all respondents that all of the above  
implementations have implemented the 0x010A BGP IPv4 Address Specific  
Extended Community.
4)  Finally, I've asked the implementers to list the date their  
implementations were "Generally Available", as a 'proxy' toward  
answering how long deployments have existed in the field, (responses  
anonymized as per the respondents request):
  a)  draft-ietf-l2vpn-signaling:
      - Implementation X: 1Q/2007 -- 2.5 years ago
      - Implementation Y: 1Q/2008 -- 1.5 years ago
      ============================================
      Average Age of Above Implementations: ~2 years old
  b)  draft-ietf-l3vpn-2547bis-mcast-bgp:
      - Implementation M: 3Q/2007 -- 2 years ago
      - Implementation N: 2Q/2009 -- 0 months ago
      ============================================
      Average Age of Above Implementations: ~1 years old

In summary:
- The "average age" of the implementations of draft-ietf-l2vpn- 
signaling is 1 year greater than draft-ietf-l3vpn-2547bis-mcast-bgp;  
and,
- draft-ietf-l2vpn-signaling was developed and released approximately  
6 months prior to draft-ietf-l3vpn-2547bis-mcast-bgp

Given the above, it is our recommendation that IANA should assign the  
0x010A BGP IPv4 Address Specific Extended Community to draft-ietf- 
l2vpn-signaling.  Furthermore, IANA should then allocate a new BGP  
IPv4 Address Specific Extended Community to draft-ietf-l3vpn-2547bis- 
mcast-bgp.

Finally, FWIW, we have informed the AD's of both WG's of the results  
of the survey and our recommendation contained above, as well, and  
have not heard any feedback that they disagree with the survey or our  
recommendation.

-shane