Subject: Re: Extension to LDP-VPLS for Ethernet Broadcast and Multicast

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 10:51:04 +0200

Hello,

      from an operator's point of view with VPLS LDP based (growing)
      deployed networks, there is no doubt about the interest in an LDP
      based solution on Broadcast and Multicast optimization.

      The first need of an optimization for BCAST/MCAST traffic
      distribution comes from IPTV broadcasting applications and it does
      not make much sense to add additional control protocols for just one
      service (although the requierements of this service are very heavy)
      in MULTI-service (IPTV, Internet, Mobile Backhaul, wholesale, L2VPN,
      etc) L2 aggregation networks. For the sake of the simplicity it is
      worth to keep them as L2 connectivity solution networks.

      But the connectivity facilities of this aggregation networks have to
      be improved to optimize network resources utilization and allow
      network growth meeting the whole set of requirements for all of these
      services with their different service architecture.

      On the other hand, the simultaneous utilization of different control
      protocols (LDP+BGP) may arise new limitations on the already deployed
      equipment of LDP based networks that must be taken into account.

      The proposed LDP based enhancement on Ethernet broadcast/multicast is
      very valuable for those operators with LDP based deployments.

      Regards

      César Garrido.