Subject: Re: [PWE3] draft-boutros-pwe3-mpls-tp-mac-wd-01

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 19:38:54 +0800

Hi Sami,
Does the MAC address withdraw OAM message shares the same Associated 
Channel Type with PW OAM Message? I don't see the IANA assignment for this 
message in the draft. Other comments, see below.

4.1.2. Operation of Receiver

   Each PW is associated with a counter to keep track of the sequence
   number of the MAC withdrawal message received last. Whenever a MAC
   withdrawal message is received, and if the sequence number on the
   message is greater than the receive counter, the MAC address(es)
   contained in the MAC TLV(s) is/are removed, and the receive counter
   is incremented. The receiver sends an ACK whose sequence number is
   the same as the received message.
[Lizhong] "greater than the receive counter" may not be the case, when PE 
receives the first MAC withdrawal message, the receiver counter would be 
empty. When the sequence number overflow, the receiver counter maybe 
greater that the sequence number.

   If the sequence number in the received message is smaller than or
   equal to the receive counter, the MAC TLV(s) is/are not processed.
   However, an ACK whose sequence number is the same as the received
   message is sent.
[Lizhong] It would be better to define the range of valid sequence number, 
e.g, is "0" valid for the sequence number?

Regards
Lizhong

> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 03 May 2011 13:42:04 -0700
> From: Sami Boutros <[email-masked]>
> To: <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> Cc: "Malis, Andrew G. \(Andy\)" <[email-masked]>,   "Siva
>    Sivabalan \(msiva\)" <[email-masked]>
> Subject: [PWE3] draft-boutros-pwe3-mpls-tp-mac-wd-01
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"; format=flowed
> 
> 
> We have presented "
> MAC Address Withdrawal over Static Pseudowire
> " at IETF79 and 80
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-boutros-pwe3-mpls-tp-mac-wd-01
> 
> 
>     This document specifies a mechanism to signal MAC address withdrawal
>     notification using PW Associated Channel (ACH). Such notification is
>     useful when statically provisioned PWs are deployed in VPLS/H-VPLS
>     environment.
> 
> 
> The authors are seeking more feedback from the mailing list, and 
> would be grateful if you could review the document and post comments 
> on the mailing list.
> 
> Thanks,
> Sami
> 
> 
--=_alternative 003FFC7

--------------------------------------------------------
ZTE Information Security Notice: The information contained in this mail is solely property of the sender's organization. This mail communication is confidential. Recipients named above are obligated to maintain secrecy and are not permitted to disclose the contents of this communication to others.
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the originator of the message. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender.
This message has been scanned for viruses and Spam by ZTE Anti-Spam system.

---

From: Sami Boutros <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 May 2011 10:28:30 -0700

Hi Lizhong,

Thanks for your comments. Please see comments inline.
At 04:38 AM 5/5/2011, [email-masked] wrote:

>Channel Type with PW OAM Message? I don't see the IANA assignment 
>for this message in the draft. Other comments, see below.

Sami: Correct it does.

>[Lizhong] "greater than the receive counter" may not be the case, 
>when PE receives the first MAC withdrawal message, the receiver 
>counter would be empty. When the sequence number overflow, the 
>receiver counter maybe greater that the sequence number.

Sami: We will update this section in next Rev to specify the handling 
and the meaning of 0 counters and to work around cases of wrapping counters.

>[Lizhong] It would be better to define the range of valid sequence 
>number, e.g, is "0" valid for the sequence number?

Sami: Agreed as per above.

Thanks,

Sami

>ZTE Information Security Notice: The information contained in this 
>mail is solely property of the sender's organization. This mail 
>communication is confidential. Recipients named above are obligated 
>to maintain secrecy and are not permitted to disclose the contents 
>of this communication to others.
>This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and 
>intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they 
>are addressed. If you have received this email in error please 
>notify the originator of the message. Any views expressed in this 
>message are those of the individual sender.