Subject: RFC 7041 on Extensions to the Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS) Provider Edge (PE) Model for Provider Backbone Bridging

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 15:09:46 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7041

        Title:      Extensions to the Virtual Private LAN
                    Service (VPLS) Provider Edge (PE) Model
                    for Provider Backbone Bridging 
        Author:     F. Balus, Ed.,
                    A. Sajassi, Ed.,
                    N. Bitar, Ed.
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      15
        Characters: 31236
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-l2vpn-pbb-vpls-pe-model-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7041.txt

The IEEE 802.1 Provider Backbone Bridges (PBBs) specification defines
an architecture and bridge protocols for interconnection of multiple
Provider Bridged Networks (PBNs).  Provider backbone bridging was
defined by IEEE as a connectionless technology based on multipoint
VLAN tunnels.  PBB can be used to attain better scalability than
Provider Bridges (PBs) in terms of the number of customer Media
Access Control addresses and the number of service instances that can
be supported.

The Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS) provides a framework for
extending Ethernet LAN services, using MPLS tunneling capabilities,
through a routed MPLS backbone without running the Rapid Spanning
Tree Protocol (RSTP) or the Multiple Spanning Tree Protocol (MSTP)
across the backbone.  As a result, VPLS has been deployed on a large
scale in service provider networks.

This document discusses extensions to the VPLS Provider Edge (PE)
model required to incorporate desirable PBB components while
maintaining the service provider fit of the initial model.

This document is a product of the Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/search/rfc_search.php
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC