Subject: EVPN: Setting RD in an IPv6 world

From: Jakob Heitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 15:28:05 -0800

In each of the below cases, an IPv6 address is too large to fill an RD.
A suggested text change:
The RD must be unique for each PE in the EVPN.
An IPv4 address of the PE, followed by 0 MAY be used to construct the 
value field of the RD.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

        9.1.1
        <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-l2vpn-evpn-04#section-9.1.1>
        Constructing the Ethernet Segment Route

    The Route-Distinguisher (RD) MUST be a Type 1 RD [RFC4364  <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4364>]. The value
    field comprises an IP address of the MES (typically, the loopback
    address) followed by 0's.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

        9.2.1
        <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-l2vpn-evpn-04#section-9.2.1>
        Constructing the Ethernet A-D Route per Ethernet Segment

...

    Route-Distinguisher (RD) MUST be a Type 1 RD [RFC4364  <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4364>]. The value

      field comprises an IP address of the PE (typically, the loopback 
address) followed by 0.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
9.4.1 
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-l2vpn-evpn-04#section-9.4.1> 
Constructing the Ethernet A-D Route per EVI

    Route-Distinguisher (RD) MUST be set to the RD of the EVI that is
    advertising the NLRI. An RD MUST be assigned for a given EVI on an
    PE. This RD MUST be unique across all EVIs on an PE. It is
    RECOMMENDED to use the Type 1 RD [RFC4364  <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4364>]. The value field comprises
    an IP address of the PE (typically, the loopback address) followed by
    a number unique to the PE.  This number may be generated by the PE.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^