Subject: RE: draft-ietf-l3vpn-gre-ip-2547-01.txt

From: "Shashi Kiran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 12:18:19 -0800

Right-on. 

We have fairly mature VR-based VPNs in our service provider customer
networks. They still have among the fastest uptake  with Enterprises willing
to pay a premium for them in certain cases. The comments are in poor-taste,
and not a realistic assessment of profitable service provider offerings.

Rgds
Shashi Kiran

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Schliesser, Benson
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2004 9:49 AM
To: [email-masked]; Yakov Rekhter
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: draft-ietf-l3vpn-gre-ip-2547-01.txt 

Being employed by a service provider that provides (a fair number of)
VR-based VPNs, I'd say it's unfair to suggest "no one really cares about"
them. If you'd like to argue that there are fewer VR-based VPNs than
BGP/MPLS-based VPNs deployed in the world, then I won't oppose. (although my
curiosity would like to see some evidence of this) But even that doesn't
obviate the need for addressing the 'practical problems' of the VR model.
I'd be thankful if Yakov would generalize the draft.

And just because I can't help myself, I have to add (...not intended to
reflect upon the BGP/MPLS versus VR models, nor start any religious wars
therein, just to make the point that your analogy isn't entirely fair): You
can't assume a steakhouse is unworthy of attention simply because vastly
more people eat fast-food hamburgers.

-Benson

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Eric
Rosen
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2004 10:25 AM
To: Yakov Rekhter
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: draft-ietf-l3vpn-gre-ip-2547-01.txt 

Eric> This document has  been around a long time, and none  of the folks

Eric> who believe  in VR-based VPNS  (if there  are even  any still
around) has
Eric> bothered  to contribute  any text.   If one  of those  folks
wants to
Eric> contribute some text, we could take a look at it, otherwise this
Eric> seems like a non-issue.

Yakov> I'll be glad to contribute the text.

In your new role  as chief advocate for VR-based VPNs?  Or  in your new role
as ensurer  of architectural and  theoretical completeness? Wouldn't  it be
nice if we could keep a  focus on practical problems and avoid debates about
things that no one really cares about?  After all, as someone once said, the
proof of the pudding is in the eating, not in the debate about the pudding.

:-)