Subject: draft-ietf-l3vpn-gre-ip-2547-01.txt

From: Yakov Rekhter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 12:02:19 -0800

Folks,

draft-ietf-l3vpn-gre-ip-2547-01.txt talks about using GRE or IP
tunnels instead of the outer label for 2547 VPNs.  However, the
same approach could be used for other MPLS VPN applications (e.g.,
VR-based VPNs with BGP-based autodiscovery).

With this in mind I'd like to propose to generalize the document.

Comments ???

Yakov.

---

From: Eric Rosen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 10:07:21 -0500

> However, the same  approach could be used for  other MPLS VPN applications
> (e.g., VR-based VPNs with BGP-based autodiscovery). 

This document has been around a long time, and none of the folks who believe
in  VR-based VPNS  (if there  are  even any  still around)  has bothered  to
contribute any text.   If one of those folks wants  to contribute some text,
we could take a look at it, otherwise this seems like a non-issue.

---

From: Yakov Rekhter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 07:43:35 -0800

Eric,

> we could take a look at it, otherwise this seems like a non-issue. 

I'll be glad to contribute the text.

Yakov.

---

From: Eric Rosen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 11:24:42 -0500

Eric> This document has  been around a long time, and none  of the folks who
Eric> believe  in VR-based VPNS  (if there  are even  any still  around) has
Eric> bothered  to contribute  any text.   If one  of those  folks  wants to
Eric> contribute some text, we could take a look at it, otherwise this seems
Eric> like a non-issue.

Yakov> I'll be glad to contribute the text. 

In your new role  as chief advocate for VR-based VPNs?  Or  in your new role
as ensurer  of architectural and  theoretical completeness?  Wouldn't  it be
nice if we could keep a  focus on practical problems and avoid debates about
things that no one really cares about?  After all, as someone once said, the
proof of the pudding is in the eating, not in the debate about the pudding.

:-)