Subject: reminder: QoS not currently in L3VPN charter

From: Rick Wilder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 10:59:03 -0800 (PST)

This is not to say the discussions of QoS here are not interesting, but currently out of
charter. 

Any proposal to expand the WG charter to include QoS would require a clear statement of
requirements for VPN-specific QoS work.

Rick

---

From: Ross Callon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 17:22:32 -0500

>requirements for VPN-specific QoS work.

To expand a bit on Rick's comments. There has been other work in the
IETF over many years on QoS. In my reading of the recent discussion on 
the l3vpn working group mailing list, I noticed an interesting discussion.
However, I didn't notice anything that would suggest a solution specific to 
VPNs -- the same issues could be raised for other types of traffic going 
through an IP/MPLS Network. 

If there are VPN-specific aspects of QoS we could try to understand what 
these are, and then have discussions regarding whether to extent the 
working group charter. If the QoS issues are applicable to IP networks in
general, then to me it would appear to be difficult to argue why these 
should be in this working group rather than elsewhere in the IETF. 

Ross