Subject: [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-l3vpn-bgp-ipv6-05.txt]

From: Ronald Bonica <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 13:50:56 -0500

Folks,

As this draft has cleared WG last call in both L3VPN and IDR, I have 
forwarded it to the IESG with a request for publication.

                                      Ron

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-l3vpn-bgp-ipv6-05.txt
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 15:26:25 -0500
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
CC: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Layer 3 Virtual Private Networks 
Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: BGP-MPLS VPN extension for IPv6 VPN
	Author(s)	: J. De Clercq, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-l3vpn-bgp-ipv6-05.txt
	Pages		: 17
	Date		: 2005-2-18

---

From: Li Defeng <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 14:44:50 +0800

draft-ietf-l3vpn-bgp-ipv6-05.txt doesn't include the scenarios of IPv4/IPv6 hybrid VPN where some sites of the VPN are IPv4 sites, while other sites are IPv6 sites, or VPN backbone is composed of IPv4 AS and IPv6 AS.  And IPv6 deployment will co-exist with IPv4 network, so it is important to address the above problems, why not involve this contents into draft-ietf-l3vpn-bgp-ipv6-xx.txt. and I submitted a draft(draft-defeng-l3vpn-ipv4-ipv6-hybrid-01) to address IPv4/IPv6 hybrid VPN before 61th IETF meeting, while that draft  wasn't discussed at  61th IETF meeting because I didn't get the Visa. so I hope these two drafts can be merged so that IPv4/IPv6 hybrid VPN can also be resolved.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 09:58:37 +0100

Hi,

I really think that draft-ietf-l3vpn-bgp-ipv6-05.txt and 
draft-defeng-l3vpn-ipv4-ipv6-hybrid should NOT be merged.

The drafts discuss completely different and orthogonal issues (offering 
IPv6 VPNs over an IPv4 or IPv6 core versus support for inter-working 
between IPv4 and IPv6 sites/networks).

The drafts include different technologies and solutions (e.g. 
draft-defeng talks about technologies like NAT-PT).

The draft greatly differ in maturity and in status 
(draft-ietf-l3vpn-bgp-ipv6 was reviewed by 2 WGs and passed WG last call 
  while draft-defeng is an (expired?) individual draft).

Li Defeng wrote:

[...]

> so I
> hope these two drafts can be merged so that IPv4/IPv6 hybrid VPN can
> also be resolved.

If it is deemed necessary, then IPv4/IPv6 hybrid VPN can perfectly be 
resolved autonomously, without merging these two documents.

regards,
Jeremy.

---

From: Ronald Bonica <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 11:28:05 -0500

Li,

Is there anything in draft-ietf-l3vpn-bgp-ipv6-05 that precludes the 
progression of draft-defeng-l3vpn-ipv4-ipv6-hybrid-01 as a separate work?

                             Ron