Subject: RFC 4577 on OSPF as the Provider/Customer Edge Protocol for BGP/MPLS IP Virtual Private Networks (VPNs)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 12:17:29 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4577

        Title:      OSPF as the Provider/Customer Edge 
                    Protocol for BGP/MPLS IP Virtual Private 
                    Networks (VPNs) 
        Author:     E. Rosen, P. Psenak,
                    P. Pillay-Esnault
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       June 2006
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      25
        Characters: 61515
        Updates:    RFC4364
        See-Also:   

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-l3vpn-ospf-2547-06.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4577.txt

Many Service Providers offer Virtual Private Network (VPN) services
to their customers, using a technique in which customer edge routers
(CE routers) are routing peers of provider edge routers (PE
routers).  The Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) is used to distribute
the customer's routes across the provider's IP backbone network, and
Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) is used to tunnel customer
packets across the provider's backbone.  This is known as a "BGP/MPLS
IP VPN".  The base specification for BGP/MPLS IP VPNs presumes that
the routing protocol on the interface between a PE router and a CE
router is BGP.  This document extends that specification by allowing
the routing protocol on the PE/CE interface to be the Open Shortest
Path First (OSPF) protocol.

This document updates RFC 4364.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Layer 3 Virtual Private Networks
Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and 
suggestions for improvements.Please refer to the current edition of 
the Internet Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization 
state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is 
unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...