Subject: Document Action: 'Mandatory Features in a Layer 3 Multicast BGP/MPLS VPN Solution' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 09:42:30 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Mandatory Features in a Layer 3 Multicast BGP/MPLS VPN Solution '
   <draft-ietf-l3vpn-mvpn-considerations-06.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Layer 3 Virtual Private Networks Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ross Callon and Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l3vpn-mvpn-considerations-06.txt

Technical Summary

   More that one set of mechanisms to support multicast in a layer 3
   BGP/MPLS VPN have been defined.  These are presented in the documents
   that define them as optional building blocks (see draft-ietf-l3vpn-
   2547bis-mcast and draft-ietf-l3vpn-2547bis-mcast-bgp).

   To enable interoperability between implementations, this document
   defines a subset of features that is considered mandatory for a
   multicast BGP/MPLS VPN implementation.  This will help implementers
   and deployers understand which L3VPN multicast requirements are best
   satisfied by each option.

Working Group Summary

   Consensus in this working group (L3VPN, as well as PPVPN which 
   preceded it) has always been somewhat rough. There has been very 
   extensive discussion in the WG, and considerable effort has been 
   made to resolve the issues that have come up. There is clear
   consensus to publish this document as an informational RFC. 
   (see proto writeup by Danny McPherson in the ID Tracker).  

Document Quality

   The L3VPN Multicast approaches which were defined in draft-ietf-
   l3vpn-2547bis-mcast and draft-ietf-l3vpn-2547bis-mcast-bgp and 
   which are discussed in this document have been implemented and 
   widely deployed. This document is written by multiple service 
   providers who have deployed these solutions. The document has been
   very extensively reviewed by the L3VPN working group and has been 
   carefully updated in response to comments received. 

Personnel

   Danny McPherson is the Document Shepherd for this document. Ross
   Callon is the Responsible Area Director.

RFC Editor Note

   In normative references, "ietf-l3vpn-2547bis-mcast" and 
   "ietf-l3vpn-2547bis-mcast-bgp" are both in the RFC editor's queue, 
   and thus can be updated when the RFCs are published. 

   Please add a normative reference to RFC 4364.