Subject: [Lake] Status and plans for JSON test vectors and draft-traces

From: John Mattsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 09:50:43 +0000

JSON test vectors
----------------------------------------

These are test vectors intended for testing implementations. There is no limit to
the number of JSON test vectors. Currently there are 13 test vectors with suite 0 and 1:

https://github.com/lake-wg/edhoc/blob/master/test-vectors-11/vectors-json.txt

We are getting supprisingly little comments on the JSON test vectors and suprisingly
many comments on draft-traces...

Current plans:

- Combine the current 13 test vectors with equally many test vectors for suite 2 and 3 #185
  https://github.com/stoprocent/edhoc/tree/feature/mbedtls/test-vectors-11
- Add a table of contents #187
- Add a list of cipher suites that I and R supports #188

If people have JSON test vectors in the same format for other suite such as 24 and 25 these can
be added as well. There is no limit to the number of test vectors here. The more the merrier.

draft-ietf-lake-traces
----------------------------------------

draft-ietf-lake-traces is intented to be a small documented subset of the JSON test vectors
intended to increase understanding for a human reader. For testing implementations, the JSON
test vectors should be used.

Currently there are two traces in the document.

Current plans:

- Align with JSON test vectors and add a list of cipher suites that I and R supports #188
- Change SIG-SIG trace to cipher suite 2 (ECDSA) and use a "real" X509 certificate.

There seems to be consensus that the two items in the current plan is an improvement. There does not seem
to be consensus on how to expand draft-traces with more than two traces. We will not add any
additional traces before there there is consensus on what to add. We likely have to come back to this at
a future meeting.

----------------------------------------

I would like to see more comments on the JSON test vectors and draft-ietf-lake-traces as a package. Please do also provide motivation for any suggested changes/additions.

Cheers,
John