Subject: [Last-Call] Tsvart last call review of draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv2-hbit-10

From: Kyle Rose via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2019 14:47:30 -0700

Reviewer: Kyle Rose
Review result: Ready with Nits

This document has been reviewed as part of the transport area review team's
ongoing effort to review key IETF documents. These comments were written
primarily for the transport area directors, but are copied to the document's
authors and WG to allow them to address any issues raised and also to the IETF
discussion list for information.

When done at the time of IETF Last Call, the authors should consider this
review as part of the last-call comments they receive. Please always CC
[email-masked] if you reply to or forward this review.

This document is basically ready. I have the following comments:

* LSA should be defined where it is first used.
* I'm curious what happens if a router sets the H-bit when it is on the only
feasible transit path.
* In the security considerations, the document states:

q( The feature, however does introduce the flooding of a capability
   information that allows discovery and verification that all routers
   in an area are capable before turning on the feature )

I'm not sure "flooding" is the right term here, as the communication
comprising the OSPF control plane is not new: only a single bit has a
new meaning. This statement is also worded awkwardly, but without
a clearer understanding of what is meant, I don't know that I can
suggest alternative wording.

---

From: Padma Pillay-Esnault <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2019 15:50:45 -0700

Hi Kyle

Thank you for your review

Please see below PPE

> * LSA should be defined where it is first used.

PPE - Fixed for next version of draft

> feasible transit path.

PPE - The router with the H-bit set will not be "on the only feasible
transit path" to other destinations.  The H-bit functionality will exclude
the host router from the path calculation in the SPF.

> suggest alternative wording.
PPE: OSPF will flood the LSA containing the capability... Perhaps
"advertising" instead of flooding.
See below:

OLD:
The feature, however does introduce the flooding of a capability
   information that allows discovery and verification that all routers
   in an area are capable before turning on the feature.

SUGGESTED NEW:
The feature introduces the advertising of a host router capability
information to all OSPFv2 routers
   in an area. This information can be leveraged for discovery and
verification that all routers in the
area support the capability before the feature is turned on.

Please let me know if this addresses your comment.

Thanks
Padma