Subject: [Last-Call] Opsdir last call partial review of draft-boydseda-ipfix-psamp-bulk-data-yang-model-02

From: Joe Clarke via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2019 10:23:36 -0800

Review is partially done. Another assignment may be needed to complete it.

Reviewer: Joe Clarke
Review result: Not Ready

I have been assigned as a secondary reviewer on behalf of the ops directorate
to review this draft.  This draft defines YANG modules for PSAMP with bulk
export via IPFIX.  It contends that RFC 6728 defines a single YANG module that
couples IPFIX export with PSAMP sampling.  It also puts an overly onerous
requirement that a device support SCTP.  The aim of this draft is to decouple
the sampling and exporting and allow for other export transports.

I think Mehmet raised some valid points in his review around why this is being
done as an AD-sponsored document.  While I am not a PSAMP/IPFIX expert, the
document and approach seem reasonable to me, and I wonder why this wasn't
discussed more in opsawg as a replacement for 6728.  I also agree with Mehmet
that the 6728 authors should be included on this for a deeper technical review.

One other point that struck me as I read this document was that 6728 is being
obsoleted by this, but there are references to things defined within it.  I
would think that anything that this new document will use in a normative
fashion should be explicitly stated in this document.  Such examples are found
in Section 3 where text like "based on [RFC6728]" is used.