Subject: [Last-Call] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-dnsop-7706bis-07

From: Ines Robles via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2020 05:02:51 -0800

Reviewer: Ines Robles
Review result: Ready with Nits

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. The General Area
Review Team (Gen-ART) reviews all IETF documents being processed
by the IESG for the IETF Chair.  Please treat these comments just
like any other last call comments.

For more information, please see the FAQ at

<https://trac.ietf.org/trac/gen/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Document: draft-ietf-dnsop-7706bis-07
Reviewer: Ines Robles
Review Date: 2020-02-28
IETF LC End Date: 2020-02-28
IESG Telechat date: Not scheduled for a telechat

Summary:

The document is well written,  it supplies appendixes with examples.

This document describes a method for the operator of a recursive resolver to
have a complete root zone locally, and to hide queries for the root zone from
outsiders, at the cost of adding some operational fragility for the operator.

I have some minor questions.

Major issues: None

Minor issues: None.

Nits/editorial comments:

1- Appendix B.5: it seems that the link is not valid: <https://knot-
   resolver.readthedocs.io/en/stable/modules.html#root-on-loopback-rfc-
   7706>

  This link worked for me:
  https://knot-resolver.readthedocs.io/en/stable/modules-rfc7706.html.

Questions:

1- It seems that this document replaces RFC7706, but the document states that
it updates RFC7706, is that correct?

2- Abstract: "The cost of adding some operational fragility for the operator",
Does it introduce security considerations that have to be mentioned?

3- Section 1: "Research shows that the vast majority of queries going to the
root are for names that do not exist in the
   root zone." - Do you have some references to that research that can be added
   to the draft?

4- I would expand KSK to Key signing key (KSK).

5- Should this draft add a reference to rfc8499?

Thank you for this document,

Ines.

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2020 06:12:08 -0800

Thanks for the review, Ines.

Barry

---

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2020 13:17:55 -0500

> I have some minor questions.

Thank you for the review!

>   https://knot-resolver.readthedocs.io/en/stable/modules-rfc7706.html.

Thanks - not just for pointing out the issue, but also finding a
better version - as suggested, I am changing this (in a git branch
where I am collecting updates) to
https://knot-resolver.readthedocs.io/en/v5.0.1/modules-rfc7706.html -
I believe that stability is the most important attribute. AD, please
let us know if you disagree.

> it updates RFC7706, is that correct?

Oh, good point - once this is published, it does replace 7706 (it is a
bis, and contains all of the content from 7706), so Obsoletes is
better.
Thank you, changed.

>    root zone." - Do you have some references to that research that can be added

Hmmmm... I think that we missed this because, within the DNS community
this is sufficiently well known that we don't even think about /
question it.
There is quite a lot of research on this, but much if it is behind
paywalls - while almost 20 years old now (Gods, I feel old!), I think
that the best one to cite is still:
https://www.caida.org/publications/papers/2001/DNSMeasRoot/dmr.pdf (
DNS Measurements at a Root Server ) -- I will add this.

> 4- I would expand KSK to Key signing key (KSK).

Thanks! Done!

> 5- Should this draft add a reference to rfc8499?

Seems like a good idea, thanks! I'm adding:
"Readers are expected to be familiar with <xref target="RFC8499"/>."

> Thank you for this document,

... and thank you for the review.

W

-- 
I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad
idea in the first place.
This is like putting rabid weasels in your pants, and later expressing
regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair
of pants.
   ---maf

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2020 10:32:48 -0800

Thanks, Ace, and post the update whenever you’re ready.

Barry