Subject: [Last-Call] Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-capport-api-07

From: Robert Sparks via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2020 08:00:14 -0700

Reviewer: Robert Sparks
Review result: Ready

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's ongoing
effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG. These comments
were written primarily for the benefit of the security area directors. Document
editors and WG chairs should treat these comments just like any other last call
comments.

This document is ready for publication as Proposed Standard RFC.

The document defines an HTTP json-based API for clients to use with a captive
portal API server. Discovery of the API server URL is defined in other capport
documents. Connection to the server uses TLS. Server authentication SHOULD use
OCSP stapling, and the network SHOULD provide permit connection to NTP servers
(or other time-sync mechanisms). The security considerations section calls out
the potential risk of look-alike characters being used in the server domain
name to mislead the user of the client of this API.

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2020 11:39:35 -0400

Thanks for the review, Robert.

Barry