Subject: [Last-Call] Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-v6ops-slaac-renum-03

From: Klaas Wierenga via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2020 05:16:18 -0700

Reviewer: Klaas Wierenga
Review result: Ready

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the
IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat
these comments just like any other last call comments.

The document is clear and well-written. I believe that the workarounds
presented are a bit weak, but I guess the future work will address the issue in
a more fundamental manner. From a security considerations point of view, I
agree with the authors that the document does not introduce any new security
concerns.

The summary of the review is: Ready

---

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2020 10:41:43 -0300

Hi, Klaas,

Thanks so much for your feedback! In-line....

On 24/9/20 09:16, Klaas Wierenga via Datatracker wrote:
> a more fundamental manner. 

FWIW, the "workarounds" presented in this document are somewhat limited, 
because they suggest the things one might do without modifying the 
underlying protocols (i.e., operational mitigations).

Indeed, other work being pursued (draft-ietf-v6ops-cpe-slaac-renum and 
draft-ietf-6man-slaac-renum) discuss how to mitigate the problem in a 
more comprehensive and effective manner.

Thanks!

CHeers,
-- 
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks
e-mail: [email-masked]
PGP Fingerprint: 6666 31C6 D484 63B2 8FB1 E3C4 AE25 0D55 1D4E 7492

---

From: Klaas Wierenga <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2020 17:21:02 +0200

My pleasure!

Sent from my iPhone

> On 24 Sep 2020, at 17:08, Fernando Gont <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi, Klaas,
> 
> FWIW, the "workarounds" presented in this document are somewhat limited, because they suggest the things one might do without modifying the underlying protocols (i.e., operational mitigations).
> 
> Indeed, other work being pursued (draft-ietf-v6ops-cpe-slaac-renum and draft-ietf-6man-slaac-renum) discuss how to mitigate the problem in a more comprehensive and effective manner.
> 
> Thanks!
> 
> CHeers,
> -- 
> Fernando Gont
> SI6 Networks