Subject: [Last-Call] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-detnet-mpls-over-udp-ip-06

From: Christer Holmberg via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2020 13:47:57 -0700

Reviewer: Christer Holmberg
Review result: Almost Ready

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. The General Area
Review Team (Gen-ART) reviews all IETF documents being processed
by the IESG for the IETF Chair.  Please treat these comments just
like any other last call comments.

For more information, please see the FAQ at

<https://trac.ietf.org/trac/gen/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Document: draft-ietf-detnet-mpls-over-udp-ip-06
Reviewer: Christer Holmberg
Review Date: 2020-09-01
IETF LC End Date: 2020-09-10
IESG Telechat date: Not scheduled for a telechat

Summary: In general I think the document is almost ready for publication, but I
have a few minor issues and nits that I would like the authors to address.

Major issues: N/A

Minor issues:

Q1: In the last paragraph of Section 4, there is a statement from RFC 7510
aboout MPLS-in-UDP not being allowed on the general Internet etc. I think it
should be explicitly indicated whether that also applies to this document. The
document talks about "IP networks", but it is unclear what the scope really is.
And, if  the RFC 7510 statement does apply to this document, I think it shall
be stated much earlier: either in the Introduction, or in a dedicated
Applicability Section.

Nits/editorial comments:

Q2: In the Introduction, I like to have the this-document-does-this-and-that
text at the end. If possible, please consider moving the 2nd paragraph to the
end of the Section.

Q3: The first sentence of Section 3 says:

    "This document builds on the specification of MPLS over UDP defined in
    [RFC7510]."

...and Section 4 says "MPLS over UDP/IP encapsulation".

RFC 7510 talks about MPLS-in-UDP, so please align the terminology.