Subject: Re: [Last-Call] [TLS] Last Call: <draft-ietf-tls-oldversions-deprecate-09.txt> (Deprecating TLSv1.0 and TLSv1.1) to Best Current Practice

From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2020 07:53:35 -0500

Hi Eliot,

Thanks for raising your concern.  I’ll note that I first started working on this because a well deployed library already had plans to drop support for versions 1.0 and 1.1 in their next release.  Customers that wanted those versions would have to use a prior library. This history may help.

Best regards,
Kathleen 

Sent from my mobile device

> On Nov 28, 2020, at 10:26 AM, Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> 
> Hi Eliot,
> 
>> On 28/11/2020 10:45, Eliot Lear wrote:
>> Hi there IESG
>> I support the intent of this document, and I think the approach to
>> update the various documents listed is the right one.
> 
> Cool.
> 
>> Because of the breadth of documents updated, I wonder if at least
>> some implementation guidance is warranted, in order to assist
>> developers and even perhaps administrators.  Perhaps in some cases
>> these are compile-time or even run time options.  I’d suggest
>> guidance for common libraries, such as Microsoft .NET, OpenSSL,
>> GNUTLS, and WolfSSL. Better to give that guidance to get people to
>> TLS 1.3 rather than 1.2, of course.  Even informational references
>> would be fine, as assuredly some of this guidance exists.
> 
> Text welcomed of course, but I think it's mostly a case of
> doing the s/w update for the library and then either waiting
> 'till the library developer defaults to TLSv1.2 or better, or
> else various config file or API options that don't differ
> that much from library to library. I can check it out before
> we're done (again, text welcome if someone else wants to do
> that), but not sure it'll be that useful in the end TBH.
> (I'll get back when I get to doing that.)
> 
> Cheers,
> S.
> 
>> Thanks,
>> Eliot
>>>> On 9 Nov 2020, at 23:26, The IESG <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> The IESG has received a request from the Transport Layer Security
>>> WG (tls) to consider the following document: - 'Deprecating TLSv1.0
>>> and TLSv1.1' <draft-ietf-tls-oldversions-deprecate-09.txt> as Best
>>> Current Practice
>>> The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and
>>> solicits final comments on this action. Please send substantive
>>> comments to the [email-masked] mailing lists by 2020-11-30.
>>> Exceptionally, comments may be sent to [email-masked] instead. In
>>> either case, please retain the beginning of the Subject line to
>>> allow automated sorting.
>>> Abstract
>>> This document, if approved, formally deprecates Transport Layer Security (TLS) versions 1.0 (RFC 2246) and 1.1 (RFC 4346). Accordingly, those documents (will be moved|have been moved) to Historic status.  These versions lack support for current and recommended cryptographic algorithms and mechanisms, and various government and industry profiles of applications using TLS now mandate avoiding these old TLS versions.  TLSv1.2 has been the recommended version for IETF protocols since 2008, providing sufficient time to transition away from older versions.  Removing support for older versions from implementations reduces the attack surface, reduces opportunity for misconfiguration, and streamlines library and product maintenance.
>>> This document also deprecates Datagram TLS (DTLS) version 1.0 (RFC6347), but not DTLS version 1.2, and there is no DTLS version 1.1.
>>> This document updates many RFCs that normatively refer to TLSv1.0
>>> or TLSv1.1 as described herein.  This document also updates the
>>> best practices for TLS usage in RFC 7525 and hence is part of
>>> BCP195.
>>> The file can be obtained via https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-oldversions-deprecate/
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
> No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.
>>> The document contains these normative downward references. See RFC
>>> 3967 for additional information: rfc5024: ODETTE File Transfer
>>> Protocol 2.0 (Informational - Independent Submission Editor
>>> stream) rfc5024: ODETTE File Transfer Protocol 2.0 (Informational -
>>> Independent Submission Editor stream) rfc5023: The Atom Publishing
>>> Protocol (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc5019: The Lightweight
>>> Online Certificate Status Protocol (OCSP) Profile for High-Volume
>>> Environments (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc5019: The
>>> Lightweight Online Certificate Status Protocol (OCSP) Profile for
>>> High-Volume Environments (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc5018:
>>> Connection Establishment in the Binary Floor Control Protocol
>>> (BFCP) (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc4992: XML Pipelining
>>> with Chunks for the Internet Registry Information Service (Proposed
>>> Standard - IETF stream) rfc4992: XML Pipelining with Chunks for the
>>> Internet Registry Information Service (Proposed Standard - IETF
>>> stream) rfc4976: Relay Extensions for the Message Sessions Relay
>>> Protocol (MSRP) (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc4975: The
>>> Message Session Relay Protocol (MSRP) (Proposed Standard - IETF
>>> stream) rfc4975: The Message Session Relay Protocol (MSRP)
>>> (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc4964: The P-Answer-State
>>> Header Extension to the Session Initiation Protocol for the Open
>>> Mobile Alliance Push to Talk over Cellular (Informational - IETF
>>> stream) rfc4964: The P-Answer-State Header Extension to the Session
>>> Initiation Protocol for the Open Mobile Alliance Push to Talk over
>>> Cellular (Informational - IETF stream) rfc4851: The Flexible
>>> Authentication via Secure Tunneling Extensible Authentication
>>> Protocol Method (EAP-FAST) (Informational - IETF stream) rfc4851:
>>> The Flexible Authentication via Secure Tunneling Extensible
>>> Authentication Protocol Method (EAP-FAST) (Informational - IETF
>>> stream) rfc4823: FTP Transport for Secure Peer-to-Peer Business
>>> Data Interchange over the Internet (Informational - IETF stream) rfc4823: FTP Transport for Secure Peer-to-Peer Business Data
>>> Interchange over the Internet (Informational - IETF stream) rfc4791: Calendaring Extensions to WebDAV (CalDAV) (Proposed
>>> Standard - IETF stream) rfc4791: Calendaring Extensions to WebDAV
>>> (CalDAV) (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc4785: Pre-Shared Key
>>> (PSK) Ciphersuites with NULL Encryption for Transport Layer
>>> Security (TLS) (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc4785:
>>> Pre-Shared Key (PSK) Ciphersuites with NULL Encryption for
>>> Transport Layer Security (TLS) (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc4744: Using the NETCONF Protocol over the Blocks Extensible
>>> Exchange Protocol (BEEP) (Historic - IETF stream) rfc4744: Using
>>> the NETCONF Protocol over the Blocks Extensible Exchange Protocol
>>> (BEEP) (Historic - IETF stream) rfc4743: Using NETCONF over the
>>> Simple Object Access Protocol (SOAP) (Historic - IETF stream) rfc4743: Using NETCONF over the Simple Object Access Protocol
>>> (SOAP) (Historic - IETF stream) rfc4732: Internet Denial-of-Service
>>> Considerations (Informational - IAB stream) rfc4732: Internet
>>> Denial-of-Service Considerations (Informational - IAB stream) rfc4712: Transport Mappings for Real-time Application
>>> Quality-of-Service Monitoring (RAQMON) Protocol Data Unit (PDU)
>>> (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc4712: Transport Mappings for
>>> Real-time Application Quality-of-Service Monitoring (RAQMON)
>>> Protocol Data Unit (PDU) (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc4681:
>>> TLS User Mapping Extension (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc4680: TLS Handshake Message for Supplemental Data (Proposed
>>> Standard - IETF stream) rfc4680: TLS Handshake Message for
>>> Supplemental Data (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc4642: Using
>>> Transport Layer Security (TLS) with Network News Transfer Protocol
>>> (NNTP) (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc4642: Using Transport
>>> Layer Security (TLS) with Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP)
>>> (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc4616: The PLAIN Simple
>>> Authentication and Security Layer (SASL) Mechanism (Proposed
>>> Standard - IETF stream) rfc4616: The PLAIN Simple Authentication
>>> and Security Layer (SASL) Mechanism (Proposed Standard - IETF
>>> stream) rfc4582: The Binary Floor Control Protocol (BFCP) (Proposed
>>> Standard - IETF stream) rfc4582: The Binary Floor Control Protocol
>>> (BFCP) (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc4540: NEC's Simple
>>> Middlebox Configuration (SIMCO) Protocol Version 3.0 (Experimental
>>> - Independent Submission Editor stream) rfc4540: NEC's Simple
>>> Middlebox Configuration (SIMCO) Protocol Version 3.0 (Experimental
>>> - Independent Submission Editor stream) rfc4531: Lightweight
>>> Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) Turn Operation (Experimental -
>>> IETF stream) rfc4513: Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP):
>>> Authentication Methods and Security Mechanisms (Proposed Standard -
>>> IETF stream) rfc3436: Transport Layer Security over Stream Control
>>> Transmission Protocol (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc3436:
>>> Transport Layer Security over Stream Control Transmission Protocol
>>> (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc3329: Security Mechanism
>>> Agreement for the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) (Proposed
>>> Standard - IETF stream) rfc3329: Security Mechanism Agreement for
>>> the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) (Proposed Standard - IETF
>>> stream) rfc3261: SIP: Session Initiation Protocol (Proposed
>>> Standard - IETF stream) rfc3261: SIP: Session Initiation Protocol
>>> (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc2246: The TLS Protocol Version
>>> 1.0 (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc6749: The OAuth 2.0
>>> Authorization Framework (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc6739:
>>> Synchronizing Service Boundaries and <mapping> Elements Based on
>>> the Location-to-Service Translation (LoST) Protocol (Experimental -
>>> IETF stream) rfc6739: Synchronizing Service Boundaries and
>>> <mapping> Elements Based on the Location-to-Service Translation
>>> (LoST) Protocol (Experimental - IETF stream) rfc6367: Addition of
>>> the Camellia Cipher Suites to Transport Layer Security (TLS)
>>> (Informational - IETF stream) rfc6367: Addition of the Camellia
>>> Cipher Suites to Transport Layer Security (TLS) (Informational -
>>> IETF stream) rfc6176: Prohibiting Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)
>>> Version 2.0 (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc6176: Prohibiting
>>> Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) Version 2.0 (Proposed Standard - IETF
>>> stream) rfc6042: Transport Layer Security (TLS) Authorization Using
>>> KeyNote (Informational - Independent Submission Editor stream) rfc5878: Transport Layer Security (TLS) Authorization Extensions
>>> (Experimental - IETF stream) rfc5469: DES and IDEA Cipher Suites
>>> for Transport Layer Security (TLS) (Informational - IETF stream) rfc5469: DES and IDEA Cipher Suites for Transport Layer Security
>>> (TLS) (Informational - IETF stream) rfc5422: Dynamic Provisioning
>>> Using Flexible Authentication via Secure Tunneling Extensible
>>> Authentication Protocol (EAP-FAST) (Informational - IETF stream) rfc5422: Dynamic Provisioning Using Flexible Authentication via
>>> Secure Tunneling Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP-FAST)
>>> (Informational - IETF stream) rfc5364: Extensible Markup Language
>>> (XML) Format Extension for Representing Copy Control Attributes in
>>> Resource Lists (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc5364:
>>> Extensible Markup Language (XML) Format Extension for Representing
>>> Copy Control Attributes in Resource Lists (Proposed Standard - IETF
>>> stream) rfc5281: Extensible Authentication Protocol Tunneled
>>> Transport Layer Security Authenticated Protocol Version 0
>>> (EAP-TTLSv0) (Informational - IETF stream) rfc5281: Extensible
>>> Authentication Protocol Tunneled Transport Layer Security
>>> Authenticated Protocol Version 0 (EAP-TTLSv0) (Informational - IETF
>>> stream) rfc5263: Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Extension for
>>> Partial Notification of Presence Information (Proposed Standard -
>>> IETF stream) rfc5263: Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Extension
>>> for Partial Notification of Presence Information (Proposed Standard
>>> - IETF stream) rfc5238: Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS)
>>> over the Datagram Congestion Control Protocol (DCCP) (Proposed
>>> Standard - IETF stream) rfc5216: The EAP-TLS Authentication
>>> Protocol (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc5216: The EAP-TLS
>>> Authentication Protocol (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc5158:
>>> 6to4 Reverse DNS Delegation Specification (Informational - IETF
>>> stream) rfc5091: Identity-Based Cryptography Standard (IBCS) #1:
>>> Supersingular Curve Implementations of the BF and BB1 Cryptosystems
>>> (Informational - IETF stream) rfc5054: Using the Secure Remote
>>> Password (SRP) Protocol for TLS Authentication (Informational -
>>> IETF stream) rfc5054: Using the Secure Remote Password (SRP)
>>> Protocol for TLS Authentication (Informational - IETF stream) rfc5049: Applying Signaling Compression (SigComp) to the Session
>>> Initiation Protocol (SIP) (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc3501: INTERNET MESSAGE ACCESS PROTOCOL - VERSION 4rev1 (Proposed
>>> Standard - IETF stream) rfc3501: INTERNET MESSAGE ACCESS PROTOCOL -
>>> VERSION 4rev1 (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc4346: The
>>> Transport Layer Security (TLS) Protocol Version 1.1 (Proposed
>>> Standard - IETF stream) rfc2246: The TLS Protocol Version 1.0
>>> (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc4346: The Transport Layer
>>> Security (TLS) Protocol Version 1.1 (Proposed Standard - IETF
>>> stream) rfc4279: Pre-Shared Key Ciphersuites for Transport Layer
>>> Security (TLS) (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc4261: Common
>>> Open Policy Service (COPS) Over Transport Layer Security (TLS)
>>> (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc4235: An INVITE-Initiated
>>> Dialog Event Package for the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
>>> (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc4235: An INVITE-Initiated
>>> Dialog Event Package for the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
>>> (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc4217: Securing FTP with TLS
>>> (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc4168: The Stream Control
>>> Transmission Protocol (SCTP) as a Transport for the Session
>>> Initiation Protocol (SIP) (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc4162: Addition of SEED Cipher Suites to Transport Layer Security
>>> (TLS) (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc4111: Security Framework
>>> for Provider-Provisioned Virtual Private Networks (PPVPNs)
>>> (Informational - IETF stream) rfc4097: Middlebox Communications
>>> (MIDCOM) Protocol Evaluation (Informational - IETF stream) rfc4097:
>>> Middlebox Communications (MIDCOM) Protocol Evaluation
>>> (Informational - IETF stream) rfc3983: Using the Internet Registry
>>> Information Service (IRIS) over the Blocks Extensible Exchange
>>> Protocol (BEEP) (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc3943:
>>> Transport Layer Security (TLS) Protocol Compression Using
>>> Lempel-Ziv-Stac (LZS) (Informational - IETF stream) rfc3903:
>>> Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Extension for Event State
>>> Publication (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc6749: The OAuth
>>> 2.0 Authorization Framework (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc3887: Message Tracking Query Protocol (Proposed Standard - IETF
>>> stream) rfc3871: Operational Security Requirements for Large
>>> Internet Service Provider (ISP) IP Network Infrastructure
>>> (Informational - IETF stream) rfc3871: Operational Security
>>> Requirements for Large Internet Service Provider (ISP) IP Network
>>> Infrastructure (Informational - IETF stream) rfc3856: A Presence
>>> Event Package for the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) (Proposed
>>> Standard - IETF stream) rfc3767: Securely Available Credentials
>>> Protocol (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc3749: Transport Layer
>>> Security Protocol Compression Methods (Proposed Standard - IETF
>>> stream) rfc3749: Transport Layer Security Protocol Compression
>>> Methods (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc3656: The Mailbox
>>> Update (MUPDATE) Distributed Mailbox Database Protocol
>>> (Experimental - Independent Submission Editor stream) rfc3568:
>>> Known Content Network (CN) Request-Routing Mechanisms
>>> (Informational - IETF stream) rfc6750: The OAuth 2.0 Authorization
>>> Framework: Bearer Token Usage (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc6750: The OAuth 2.0 Authorization Framework: Bearer Token Usage
>>> (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc7030: Enrollment over Secure
>>> Transport (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc7030: Enrollment
>>> over Secure Transport (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc7465:
>>> Prohibiting RC4 Cipher Suites (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc7465: Prohibiting RC4 Cipher Suites (Proposed Standard - IETF
>>> stream) rfc7507: TLS Fallback Signaling Cipher Suite Value (SCSV)
>>> for Preventing Protocol Downgrade Attacks (Proposed Standard - IETF
>>> stream) rfc7507: TLS Fallback Signaling Cipher Suite Value (SCSV)
>>> for Preventing Protocol Downgrade Attacks (Proposed Standard - IETF
>>> stream) rfc7562: Transport Layer Security (TLS) Authorization Using
>>> Digital Transmission Content Protection (DTCP) Certificates
>>> (Informational - Independent Submission Editor stream) rfc7562:
>>> Transport Layer Security (TLS) Authorization Using Digital
>>> Transmission Content Protection (DTCP) Certificates (Informational
>>> - Independent Submission Editor stream) rfc7568: Deprecating Secure
>>> Sockets Layer Version 3.0 (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc7568: Deprecating Secure Sockets Layer Version 3.0 (Proposed
>>> Standard - IETF stream) rfc8422: Elliptic Curve Cryptography (ECC)
>>> Cipher Suites for Transport Layer Security (TLS) Versions 1.2 and
>>> Earlier (Proposed Standard - IETF stream) rfc8422: Elliptic Curve
>>> Cryptography (ECC) Cipher Suites for Transport Layer Security (TLS)
>>> Versions 1.2 and Earlier (Proposed Standard - IETF stream)
>>> _______________________________________________ IETF-Announce
>>> mailing list [email-masked] https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
>> _______________________________________________ TLS mailing list [email-masked] https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls
> <OpenPGP_0x5AB2FAF17B172BEA.asc>