Subject: Re: [Last-Call] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-crocker-inreply-react-08: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2021 10:23:28 -0700

On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 2:49 PM Benjamin Kaduk via Datatracker <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Section 6
>
>    The IANA is request to register the React MIME Content-Disposition
>    parameter, per [RFC2183]
>
>     Content-Disposition parameter name:    React
>
>    Allowable values for this parameter:    (none)
>
> At https://www.iana.org/assignments/cont-disp/cont-disp.xhtml I see
> distinct registries for "Content Disposition Values" and "Content
> Disposition Parameters".
> It notably does not have any columns relating what parameters are
> allowed for use with a given value.
> [...]
>

I looked into this with IANA, and there's no good explanation for the
discrepancy between what RFC 2183 proscribes and the current format of the
registry.  This is the first time it's been raised.  I asked the authors to
correct it as Ben suggested, which was done in the -12 version, but
neglected to actually read RFC 2183, on the assumption that the registry is
correct.  But it isn't.  Mea culpa.

It's probably not urgent, but we do need to figure out how to fix this.  It
seems to me that we either need to direct IANA to add the column, and tell
them how to backfill it for current entries, or spin up a revision to RFC
2183 that drops the column if it's not actually needed.

I'll ask on the ART and media-types lists for opinions.

-MSK