Subject: [Last-Call] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-extra-quota-06

From: Linda Dunbar via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 21:46:22 -0700

Reviewer: Linda Dunbar
Review result: Ready with Nits

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. The General Area
Review Team (Gen-ART) reviews all IETF documents being processed
by the IESG for the IETF Chair.  Please treat these comments just
like any other last call comments.

For more information, please see the FAQ at

<https://trac.ietf.org/trac/gen/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Document: draft-ietf-extra-quota-06
Reviewer: Linda Dunbar
Review Date: 2021-09-13
IETF LC End Date: 2021-09-10
IESG Telechat date: Not scheduled for a telechat

Summary: The document describes an extension (QUOTA extension) to allow
administrative limits on resource usage to be manipulated by IMAP protocol.

Major issues: None

Minor issues: None

Nits/editorial comments:

Section 5.1 first paragraph:
" they MUST NOT refuse to APPEND a message if the  limit less the usage is
smaller than the RFC822.SIZE divided by 1024"

does it mean "must break the message" if the limit minus the usage is smaller
than  RFC822.size/1024?

"APPEND a message": what message is to be appended?

Why "divide by 1024"?

Thank you
Linda Dunbar

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 09:53:16 +0100

Hi Linda,

Thank you for your review.

> "APPEND a message": what message is to be appended?

IMAP APPEND is typically used to save draft or sent messages on the IMAP 
server.

What the above text is saying is that clients shouldn't be trying to be 
clever and don't issue APPEND command if they think the corresponding 
mailbox reached its quota limit. Instead clients should try to issue 
APPEND anyway, because the server might be able to store the APPENDed 
message.

> Why "divide by 1024"?

Because quota limit is expressed in 1024 octet units.

Best Regards,

Alexey