Subject: implementation quiz: ;binary

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 15:14:24 -0700

Please provide a separate response for each application of
interest.  There is no need to respond if you have not
implemented ;binary transfer of attribute types.  This is
only a partial quiz aimed at getting a general idea of the
level of interoperability.

Implementor:
Application:
Application Class: [ ] client, [ ] server

Have you implemented ;binary transfer of attributes?

Is this support specific to particular syntaxes and/or attributes?
If so, which syntaxes and attributes?

Do you support non-;binary transfer for any syntax and/or
attribute which you support ;binary transfer for?

Does your application ensure values it sends using ;binary are
restricted to a valid BER encoding of the attribute's syntax?

Does your application treat non-BER encoded values received
using ;binary as an error?  If so, what error?

Does your application treat BER encoding of values of incorrect
using ;binary as an error?  If so, what error?

Does your application expect values to be encoded using a
subset of BER?  If so, which subset?

Comments:

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 15:32:27 -0700

At 03:14 PM 4/13/01 -0700, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
>Implementor: OpenLDAP
>Application: OpenLDAP slapd 2.0
>Application Class: [ ] client, [x] server
>

Not in a conformant manner.

>If so, which syntaxes and attributes?

Specific to binary, certificate, certificate pair, certificate
list and a few other select syntaxes with complex ASN.1 data
type definitions.

>attribute which you support ;binary transfer for?

No.  We only support one transfer mode per syntax.

>restricted to a valid BER encoding of the attribute's syntax?

No.

>using ;binary as an error?  If so, what error?

No.

>[syntax] using ;binary as an error?  If so, what error?

No.

>subset of BER?  If so, which subset?

No.  Our implementation could careless of how the value was
actually encoded.

> Comments:

Our implementation treats attribute descriptions containing
;binary as if attribute description was of syntax octetString
and transferred normally.  That is, ;binary values are treated
as BLOBs within our implementation and hence our implementation
should not be viewed as being compliant.

Additional, no OpenLDAP client has specific support for ";binary".

---

From: Mark Wahl <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 17:16:39 -0500

"Kurt D. Zeilenga" wrote:
> Implementor: Innosoft
> Application: Innosoft Distributed Directory Server 4.x

Yes

> If so, which syntaxes and attributes?

Yes, for the certificates and revocation lists. 

No.

> restricted to a valid BER encoding of the attribute's syntax?

No, it sends values which have been supplied by the client in earlier
Add or Modify calls.

> using ;binary as an error?  If so, what error?

No, the server does not enforce BER.

> using ;binary as an error?  If so, what error?

I do not understand what is meant by "of values of incorrect using ;binary".

No.

Mark Wahl
Sun Microsystems Inc.

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 15:25:48 -0700

>I do not understand what is meant by "of values of incorrect using ;binary".

I meant "of values of incorrect syntax using ;binary".  Your
answer to the other questions implies "no" to this question.

Kurt

---

From: "Steven Legg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 11:33:24 +1000

> level of interoperability.
 
Implementor: Adacel Technologies
Application: View500
Application Class: [ ] client, [X] server

> Have you implemented ;binary transfer of attributes?

Yes.
 
> If so, which syntaxes and attributes?

No. All supported syntaxes can be ;binary transferred.

> attribute which you support ;binary transfer for?

Yes. Each syntax with an LDAP string encoding can also be
transferred as ;binary.

> restricted to a valid BER encoding of the attribute's syntax?

Yes.

> using ;binary as an error?  If so, what error?

Yes, invalidAttributeSyntax.

> using ;binary as an error?  If so, what error?

Yes, invalidAttributeSyntax.

> subset of BER?  If so, which subset?

No. Any legal BER encoding according to X.690 is accepted.