Subject: compare operation returning success

From: Hallvard B Furuseth <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 16:11:39 +0200

I still have problems with compare operation returning success (0):

        success (0) 
           (...)
           This result code is normally not returned by the compare 
           operation, see compareFalse and compareTrue. It is possible 
           that a future extension mechanism would allow this to be 
           returned by a compare operation. 

        compareFalse (5) 
        compareTrue (6) 
           (...)
           This result code is normally only returned by the compare 
           operation. 

I still don't see what success would mean as a result of a compare
operation.  If the draft mentions that this can happen, I think it
should also mention what the value would mean.  Otherwise, I think it
would be better to just delete this possibility from the draft, and the
'normally' in the descriptions of compareFalse/compareTrue, and leave it
to the definition of the future extension to define say that compare
with this extension can return success.

-- 
Hallvard

---

From: "Jim Sermersheim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 09:28:24 -0600

So you are suggesting that both statements below just be removed,
right?
 
Jim

>>> Hallvard B Furuseth <[email-masked]> 9/23/03 8:11:39 AM
>>>

success (0) 
(...)

compareFalse (5) 
compareTrue (6) 
(...)

I still don't see what success would mean as a result of a compare
operation. If the draft mentions that this can happen, I think it
should also mention what the value would mean. Otherwise, I think it
would be better to just delete this possibility from the draft, and
the
'normally' in the descriptions of compareFalse/compareTrue, and leave
it
to the definition of the future extension to define say that compare
with this extension can return success.

-- 
Hallvard