Subject: Re: Protocol: attribute selection

From: Hallvard B Furuseth <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 22:09:43 +0100

I think an earlier message about this may have gotten lost:

In [protocol]-22 4.5.1 (Search Request),

the ASN.1 list of attributes has the confusing names

        AttributeSelection ::= SEQUENCE OF selection LDAPString 
                -- constrained to <attributeSelection> below 

so in plain language, the attributes are a selection of a selection.

Also, it is selection and not AttributeSelection which is constrained to
<attributeSelection>, which is the syntax for _one_ attribute:

     attributeSelection = attributedescription / selectionspecial 

So an AttributeSelection is a sequence of attributeSelections...

I suggest to call the ABNF token and the 'selection' ASN.1 name
'requestedAttribute', 'searchAttr' or something.

-- 
Hallvard

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 13:33:20 -0800

>so in plain language, the attributes are a selection of a selection.

Seems it would be better:
        AttributeSelectors ::= SEQUENCE of selector LDAPString
                -- selector constrained to <attributeSelector>

....

Kurt