Subject: Distinguished values

From: Hallvard B Furuseth <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 19:12:10 +0100

Some nitpicks which I don't know if we should bother to address:

[Models] 2.2.1 Relative Distinguished Names & 2.5.4 Attribute Values
indicate that the attribute values in an RDN must be identical to the
corresponding attribute values in the entry, not merely equivalent to
them.  I expect that is wrong.

[Protocol] 4.9 Modify DN Operation:

If an entry containing the attribute cn:FOO is renamed to cn=foo,
MAY/SHOULD/SHOULD NOT the server replace cn:FOO with cn:foo in the
entry?  The current text (describing the newrdn parameter) does
not permit this.

If an entry is renamed to cn=bar, may the server add the attribute
cn:BAR?

-- 
Hallvard

---

From: Hallvard B Furuseth <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 20:36:08 +0100

Kurt D. Zeilenga writes:
> For instance, 2.2.1's
>   These AVAs are chosen from the attributes of the entry.
> could be replaced with:
>   These AVAs are chosen to match attributes of the entry.
> 
> And 2.5.4's
>   When an attribute is used for naming of the entry, one and only one
>   value of the attribute is selected to appear in the Relative
>   Distinguished Name.  This value is known as a distinguished value.
> 
> could be reworded:
>   When an attribute is used for naming of the entry, one and only
>   one value of that attribute is used in forming the Relative
>   Distinguished Name.  This value is known as a distinguishing
>   value.

Sounds good to me, except s/distinguishing/distinguished/ according to
X.500(1993).

I failed to come up with brief enough wordings myself.

-- 
Hallvard

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 11:24:32 -0800

>them.  I expect that is wrong.

I note that the language used in [Models] comes from similar
language in X.501(93), in particular in 8.1.12 and 8.5.
But X.501 also contains 9 which clarifies that the value in
the RDN only needs to "match" the distinguished value.

I'd be open to some simple clarifications.

For instance, 2.2.1's

And 2.5.4's

could be reworded:

Kurt