Subject: protocol: "outstanding" operations

From: Hallvard B Furuseth <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 19:25:24 +0200

A recent poster to the OpenLDAP-software list had not understood what an
outstanding operation is.  Maybe [protocol] should define it at the time
of first use.  Something like this:
  
  at the server: a request which is being or waiting to be processed.
  at the client: as above, or an operation for which the server has
  sent a response which the client has not yet received.

-- 
Hallvard

---

From: Hallvard B Furuseth <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 13:13:10 +0200

I wrote:
>   at the client: as above,

including requests sent by the client which the server has not yet
received,

>   , or an operation for which the server has

It gets a bit cumbersome, I'm afraid.  Improvements are welcome:-)
And maybe I should have done s/request/operation/ above.

-- 
Hallvard

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 07:23:29 -0700

At 04:13 AM 5/19/2004, Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
>It gets a bit cumbersome, I'm afraid.

That's my fear.  Are such clarifications going cause more
confusion? 

>Improvements are welcome:-)

My suggestion would be avoiding the need to define the
term.  Instead, I would try to reword any sentence which
used the phrase "outstanding operation" (or "outstanding
request") to be reasonable clear without having to
rely on separately stated terminology definitions.