Subject: 'top' SUP top

From: Michael Ströder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 22:22:47 +0100

HI!

I've noticed that the following object class declaration screws up my 
schema viewer in web2ldap:

( 2.5.6.0
   NAME 'top'
   STRUCTURAL
   MUST objectClass
   MAY ( ..snipped.. ) )

As you can see 'top' is STRUCTURAL here. Looking at section 2.4.1 of 
draft-ietf-ldapbis-models-12:

   All structural object classes derive (directly or indirectly) from the
   'top' abstract object class.  Auxiliary object classes do not
   necessarily derive from 'top'.

That's why I set SUP 'top' as default in my schema implementation for 
all STRUCTURAL classes if nothing else is defined. Obviously this leads 
to 'top' SUP 'top'.

Now I'm wondering whether it's legal for a sub schema to define an 
object class derived from itself...

Ciao, Michael.

---

From: "Jim Sermersheim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 22:54:36 -0700

Have you mentioned to the vendor that they are outputting invalid schema?
 
Jim

>>> Michael Ströder <[email-masked]> 12/2/04 2:22:47 PM >>>
HI!

( 2.5.6.0
NAME 'top'
STRUCTURAL
MUST objectClass
MAY ( ..snipped.. ) )

Ciao, Michael.