Subject: Several name forms for a structural object class?

From: Michael Ströder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 20:41:00 +0200

HI!

Looking at section 4.1.7.2. "Name Forms" in 
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4512.txt it's not really clear to me whether 
more than one name form may be associated with the same structural 
object class. I think it's possible (and I've implemented it that way in 
web2ldap) but the server I'm currently testing with disallows it.

Ciao, Michael.

---

From: Howard Chu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 13:29:14 -0700

> web2ldap) but the server I'm currently testing with disallows it.

See X.501 section 12.6.2 Name Form Definition:

If different sets of naming attributes are required for entries of a given 
structural object class, then a name form must be specified for each distinct 
set of attributes to be used for naming.

-- 
   -- Howard Chu
   CTO, Symas Corp.           http://www.symas.com
   Director, Highland Sun     http://highlandsun.com/hyc/
   Chief Architect, OpenLDAP  http://www.openldap.org/project/

---

From: Steven Legg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 10:08:34 +1000

Hi Michael,

> web2ldap) but the server I'm currently testing with disallows it.

X.500 seems to allow it. Consider X.501:2005, Clause 13.7.2:

     "If different sets of naming attributes are required for entries of a
      given structural object class, then a name form shall be specified for
      each distinct set of attributes to be used for naming."

Our server also allows it, though we impose restrictions so that there is
always only one possible name form that could apply to any given combination
of RDN and structural object class.

Regards,
Steven