Subject: Me that seems in no sense to belong to me now

From: Scandalis Zamarripa <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 13:40:37 +0200

T I have a feeling that I want
you to have it. It's the cross of the Legion of Honor, which belonged to
my grandfather. My mother left it to me among some trinkets of hers,
which have all been sold. Don't look sorry about it; you don't know how
little
it matters now! This I could never have sold, and besides it is worth

very little really--but I felt I wanted you to have it. Will you let me
give it to you?" She opened her hand and held it out to him with the
cross lying on the palm. Noel
was deeply touched. "I never really expected to be decorated," he said,
"but there is no possible way in which a decoration could
come to me that could give me such pride and pleasure
as this. Take it? I should think so! When I used to dream of being a
painter I thought perhaps I'd have a great picture in the _Salon_ and
get a decoration for it. But I assure you this is better." "Oh,
what pleasant things you say!" said Christine. "You make me feel quite
happy,"
and she held out the cross for him to take. "I want you to fasten it
on," said Noel. "I mean always
to wear it. Will you pin it here?"

He turned back his coat and Christine came close to him and complied
with the

utmost willingness. The pin was a little blunt or rusted and it took her
several seconds to put it in and fasten it.
Their faces were almost on a level, and Noel's eyes looked closer than
they had ever done before at her youthful loveliness. Hers were bent in
complete absorption upon her task. When she had fastened the pin she
drew backward, still holding open the coat

that she might see the cross in its new position. All the time she never
looked at Noel, but all
the time he looked

at her. "Thank you," she said simply. Noel seemed stricken with silence.
His mind was confused, and he did not know what to say. And Christine,
wondering that he did not speak, lifted her large eyes to his face and
looked at