Subject: RE: LDAP Server Discovery

From: James Kempf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 17:23:16 -0700 (PDT)

>While I hate to rain on any parade at the idea stage, how close
>does this get to the "discovery" drafts that never made it through
>the IESG from the SVRLOC working group?
>

Is there some history here I'm not aware of?

What I'm proposing is a prioritized list of methods to discover 
LDAP servers that interoperable implementations would use. This 
would include DNS, SLP, and maybe DHCP if relevant, potentially others.
I can't recall having seen a draft about LDAP server discovery go
through SRVLOC, however.

		jak

---

From: Mark Wahl <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 19:43:20 -0500

> LDAP servers that interoperable implementations would use. 

I would have thought that servers could _use_ the same mechanisms as clients
described in Ryan's taxonomy I-D for DNs of the DC form.  There was a draft
in the LSD working group that timed out on interconnecting servers holding
contexts with prefixes of the DC form with servers whose context prefixes were 
not of the DC form.  Neither of these drafts cover how this information is 
made available when a naming context is created, although there are now 
advertising mechanisms for DNS and SLP, and X.500 (DOP), they are not yet too
widely deployed I suspect.  

Mark Wahl, Directory Product Architect
Innosoft International, Inc.