Subject: Re: Matching rules for UTF-8

From: [email-masked] (Mark C Smith)
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 11:49:47 -0400

RFC 2079 should be updated to use the syntax and matching rules defined
by LDAPv3 and X.500(93 and later); namely, syntax DirectoryString and
equality matching rule caseExactMatch.  Here's an updated definition in
the style defined in RFC 2252:

( 1.3.6.1.4.1.250.1.57 NAME 'labeledURI' EQUALITY 2.5.13.5
  SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.15 )

Remember that the optional label part of a labeledURI may contain
non-ASCII characters.  The caseExactMatch rule is defined in X.520 but
should probably be added to a revision of RFC 2252 as well.  Also note
that technically the scheme prefix part ("ldap") should be lowercase. 
>From RFC 2396 section 3.1:

   Scheme names consist of a sequence of characters beginning with a
   lower case letter and followed by any combination of lower case
   letters, digits, plus ("+"), period ("."), or hyphen ("-").  For
   resiliency, programs interpreting URI should treat upper case letters
   as equivalent to lower case in scheme names (e.g., allow "HTTP" as
   well as "http").

Anyway, caseExactMatch seems like the safest choice for an equality
matching rule to me.  I don't think it would be worthwhile to define a
special uriMatch rule just for LDAP URLs and similar values.

I'll try to submit a proposed revision to 2079 soon.

-- 
Mark Smith
iPlanet Directory Architect / Sun-Netscape Alliance
My words are my own, not my employer's.   Got LDAP?

Ed Reed wrote:
> 
> That's my conclusion, too.  Shame, since the LHS is not case sensitive,
> and that will probably be commonly used for presentation addresses...
> 
> ldap://ldap.whatever.com:389
> 
> for instance, instead of
> 
> ldap://ldap.whatever.com:389/some-ldap-search-criteria
> 
> right now, I've left it caseExactIA5Match, as done in NAMEDREF, RFC2079, and RFC2255.
> 
> Ed
> 
> =================
> Ed Reed, Technologist
> Novell Product Management
> +1 801 222 3944 (new number!)
> 
> >>> Mark Wahl <[email-masked]> 08/31/1999 18:02:39 >>>
> 
> The RHS of HTTP URLs are case sensitive, so a case exact match should be used.
> However, should it not be a caseExactIA5Match?
> 
> Mark Wahl, Directory Product Architect
> Innosoft International, Inc.