Subject: use of DNS SRV records for LDAP server location?

From: "RL 'Bob' Morgan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 23:50:23 +0000 ( )

RFC 2052, and Experimental RFC, specifies a method for clients to use DNS
SRV queries to locate hosts providing named services.
draft-ietf-dnsind-rfc2052bis-02.txt, which I think is intended to be
Standards Track, updates this slightly.  It is my understanding that
Windows 2000 clients rely on this mechanism to find their LDAP servers
(ie, Win2K domain controllers).  I'm curious whether any other LDAP
clients implement this, and if so whether anyone knows of deployments that
use it.  

If there were consensus that this is a recommended mechanism for clients
to find servers then presumably writing this down somewhere, either in a
revised 2251 or in a separate note, would be appropriate (as rfc2052bis
suggests in its Applicability Statement).  I'd expect, though, that the
path to making such a recommendation would be strewn with obstacles such
as how naming contexts are named, other possible discovery mechanisms (eg
svrloc), security concerns, etc.

Thoughts?

 - RL "Bob"

---

From: "Ryan Moats" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 08:22:38 -0500

> svrloc), security concerns, etc.

The current taxonomy of mechanisms for clients finding servers is available
as
draft-moats-ldap-taxonomy-00.txt.  Roland and I are working on the -01 draft
and it should be out in the near future (or at least by the deadline for
Washington).  One of its references is draft-armijo-ldap-locate-00.txt which
discusses using SRV records for locating LDAP services.

Ryan