Subject: LAST CALL: Java API Docs

From: Tim Howes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 11:59:24 -0800

The purpose of this message is to initiate an LDAPEXT
working group last call on the LDAPv3 Java API specification.
These documents have been through last call before, and some
substantive issues were raised. This version addresses
those issues. Changes made since the previous version are
summarized in appendix B of each document.

WHAT DOCUMENT?

The LDAPv3 Java API documents in last call are:

      draft-ietf-ldapext-ldap-java-api-08.txt
	draft-ietf-ldapext-ldap-java-api-asynch-ext-03.txt

WHAT IS A LAST CALL FOR?

The purpose of the working group last call is to ensure
that the working group has reached consensus on the
document, believes that all the known outstanding issues
have been addressed, and is ready to put the document
forward for proposed standard status.

During the last call, any comments on the documents are
collected and discussed on the mailing list.

HOW LONG DOES IT LAST?

The last call starts today and will last approximately two
weeks. It will end on Thursday, November 18, 1999.

WHAT'S THE NEXT STEP?

After the last call completes, there are three possible
outcomes:

1) No changes are required and we request our ADs to put
forward the documents to the IESG for proposed standard
status.

2) Minor changes agreed to on the list are required, and
the documents are revised. We then ask our ADs to put
forward the revised documents to the IESG for proposed
standard status.

3) Major issues are raised and no consensus is reached on
the list. In this case, we slink back and discuss things
until consensus is reached, at which time another working
group last call will be issued.

Assuming we achieve outcome 1) or 2), and that the ADs
agree with our assessment, the next stop for the documents
is with the IESG. The IESG reads them and may approve the
documents (with or without changes), or send the documents
back to the working group to have major issues addressed.

If the first outcome happens, the documents are put forward
for a two-week last call to the entire IETF, and after
successful completion the documents are published as RFCs
with proposed standard status.

If the second outcome happens, we go back and address
the issues, putting the documents forward again when we
believe they're ready.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?

You should read the documents, making sure that 1) there
are no problems or deficiencies or outstanding issues that
need to be resolved; and 2) that there are no typos,
formatting problems, grammatical errors, etc.

Any substantive problems you find, you should send to the
list. Any minor problems (typos, etc.) you may send to the
list or just to the authors. If, for some reason, you have
comments you don't want to send to the entire list, you may
send them to me or my co-chair Mark Wahl.

Read, enjoy, and send your comments in!
            -- Tim

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 10:19:05 -0800

It is not clear to me whether the Java API documents are targeted
as "Informational" or "Standard Track".  The statement "It
complements but does not replace RFC 1823" leads me to believe
that it's to targeted as informational (as RFC 1823 is informational).

I've reviewed the charter, and it says:
  "The deliverable from this work item [APIs] will be documents
  updating RFC 1823 for LDAPv3, documents defining API extensions
  to support protocol extensions, and a document defining a similar
  API for Java."

Since RFC 1823 is informational and we're updating it for LDAPv3,
my assumption is that result would be itself be informational (unless
explicitly stated otherwise).  A similar API for Java would also be
informational.

I believe the intended category of these documents should be
clarified such that they may be reviewed appropriately for their
intended category.

Regards, Kurt

>Read, enjoy, and send your comments in!

----
Kurt D. Zeilenga		<[email-masked]>
Net Boolean Incorporated	<http://www.boolean.net/>