Subject: IPv6 addressed in LDAP C-API

From: Morteza Ansari <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 16:55:29 -0800

Hi Mark,

Now that we are doing more work on the c-api, I think we should address
the IPv6 address issue in section 11.1 as well:

hostname Contains a space-separated list of hostnames or dotted strings
         representing the IP address of hosts running an LDAP server to
         connect to. Each hostname in the list MAY include a port number
         which is separated from the host itself with a colon (:) char-
         acter.  The hosts will be tried in the order listed, stopping
         with the first one to which a successful connection is made.

   Note: A suitable representation for including a literal IPv6[10]
   address in the hostname parameter is desired, but has not yet been
   determined or implemented in practice.

A somewhat similar draft (draft-ietf-ipngwg-url-literal-04.txt) that
addresses the same issue for URL's was recently approved by IESG, and I
think we should adopt the same format for representing IPv6 addresses in
"hostname".  It essentially states that literal IPv6 addresses should be
enclosed in '[' and ']'.  An example of this in our case would be:

hostname = "mirage:7653 129.178.2.54 [1080:0:0:0:8:800:200C:4171]:2353"

I suggest we change our definition of hostname to include IPv6 addresses
along with the optional port number as specified in above draft. 
Comments?

Morteza,