Subject: Knowledge Reference Drafts

From: Chris Harding <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 22:21:10 +0000

Hi -

At today's ldapext meeting I said that I thought that the two Knowledge
Reference drafts were overlapping rather than complementary, and agreed to
send mail about it to the list.

The two drafts I found are at
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ldapext-knowledge-00.txt and
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ldapext-namedref-00.txt - I
don't know whether thay are the two that Mark was referring to, but they
are the only ones listed on the ldapext web page at
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ldapext-charter.html

Rather than handling differeent cases, it looks to me as though the
knowledge-00 draft describes a more elaborate version of the same idea that
is in the namedref-00 draft. I could be wrong on this - if I am then I
hereby make a plea for explanatory text in both drafts pointing out the
relation between them.

If I'm not wrong then I suggest that we need to choose between the two
drafts rather than to merge them.

Regards,

Chris
+++++

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
           Chris Harding
  T H E    Development Manager
 O P E N   Apex Plaza, Forbury Road, Reading RG1 1AX, UK
G R O U P  Mailto:[email-masked]   Ph: +44 118 950 8311 x2262
           WWW: http://www.opengroup.org    Fx: +44 118 950 0110  

OSF/1, Motif, UNIX and the "X" device are registered trademarks in
the US and other countries, and IT DialTone and The Open Group are
trademarks of The Open Group.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "David Chadwick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 08:56:10 -0000

> At today's ldapext meeting I said that I thought that the two
> Knowledge Reference drafts were overlapping rather than complementary,
> and agreed to send mail about it to the list.
> 
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ldapext-namedref-00.txt
> - I don't know whether thay are the two that Mark was referring to,
> but they are the only ones listed on the ldapext web page at
> knowledge-00 draft describes a more elaborate version of the same idea
> that is in the namedref-00 draft. 

As the primary author of the knowledge ID, I would agree with your 
assessment. I did give some rationale for this draft to the list when I 
originally posted the draft, but I dont know if the rationale has been 
kept with the ID

David

>I could be wrong on this - if I am
> then I hereby make a plea for explanatory text in both drafts pointing
> out the relation between them.
> 
> OSF/1, Motif, UNIX and the "X" device are registered trademarks in the
> US and other countries, and IT DialTone and The Open Group are

***************************************************

David Chadwick
IS Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
Tel +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 161 745 8169
Mobile +44 790 167 0359
Email [email-masked]
Home Page  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
Understanding X.500  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm
X.500/LDAP Seminars http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/seminars.htm
Entrust key validation string MLJ9-DU5T-HV8J

***************************************************