Subject: LDAP APIs -- ldap_get_option -- question

From: Vladimir Tsyshevsky <[email-masked]>
Date: ���, 21 ��� 1999 09:42:02 +0300

Hi,

my question is about draft-ietf-ldapext-ldap-c-api-04.txt ldap_get_option call.

Why the default port value cannot be asked for (but LDAP_OPT_HOST_NAME 
can). The same about default LDAP base.

Regards,
Vladimir V. Tsychevski
senior expert

-----------------------------------------------------
                  Jet Infosystems
Krasnoproletarskaya 6,		Tel. (+7 095) 972-1182
Moscow 103006, Russia		Fax  (+7 095) 972-0791
-----------------------------------------------------
Any opinions or recommendations herein are those of
the author and not of his computer.

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark C Smith)
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 13:54:01 -0500

> can). The same about default LDAP base.

Someone else suggested that the operation of LDAP_OPT_HOST_NAME needs
clarification in the draft.  The intent is that a call to
ldap_get_option() with option LDAP_OPT_HOST_NAME will return the entire
hostname string that was passed to ldap_init().  But if the port was
passed separately, there is no way to retrieve it, so maybe we should
say that LDAP_OPT_HOST_NAME will return a string with :PORT on the end,
e.g.,

   ldap_init( "ldap.netscape.com", 3389 )

would result in an LDAP_OPT_HOST_NAME string of:

    "ldap.netscape.com:3389"

etc.

Comments?

-- 
Mark Smith
iPlanet Directory Architect / Sun-Netscape Alliance
My words are my own, not my employer's.   Got LDAP?

---

From: "�������� ���������" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 12:23:24 +0300

Hi,

thanx for fast response.

What I really want to know, when I call ldap_get_option(), is the
default configuration of slapd, but not the parameters, passed to
ldap_open() explicitly (since my application should not bother about
asking that values, and I usually call this function with default 
args values).

There is no dtfference for me, in how to get the information --
calling ldap_get_option() twice for hostname and port number values, or only
once, to get composite string in "hostname::portnumber" form.

Regards,
Vladimir V. Tsychevski
senior expert

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark C Smith)
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 13:15:45 -0500

I don't fully understand what you are asking.  The C LDAP API does not
define a default hostname and port.