Subject: [ldapext] VLV: false Sort Control assumption

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 09:10:40 -0700

The VLV I-D relies on the set of entries is ordered and
that ordering is repeatable.  That is, if no change
has been made to the DIT, repeating the same request
will return the same set of entries in the same order.

VLV assumes that entries 'ordered' by a Server-Side Sorting
control have a repeatable order.  This assumption is false in
a number of cases.  This is because the sort control may not
define an ordering for all entries in the set.

For example, if one sorts a set of entries by "description",
yet none of the entries happen to have a "description" attribute,
the sort control allows the entries to be returned in any
order.  In this example, the sort control is a no-op.

VLV needs to state that it acts upon a set of ordered
entries and this order must be repeatable.

Kurt

_______________________________________________
Ldapext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ldapext

---

From: "David Boreham" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 12:57:13 -0700

> entries and this order must be repeatable.

Repeatable within the context of one client session I think is
the minimum requirement (one client wouldn't like to
see randomly flipping entries, but two clients could
feasibly see different ordering and be happy).