Subject: [ldapext] Call for comments: Language Tags and Ranges in LDAP (RFC2596bis)

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 22:54:34 -0800

I have prepared:
	Language Tags and Ranges in LDAP
	draft-zeilenga-ldap-rfc2596-02.txt

To ensure that this Individual submission is ready for IESG
consideration for publication as a Proposed Standard
(obsoleting RFC 2596), please review and comment before the
end of the month.

Please send technical comments to this list.
Please send editorial comments directly to me.

Thanks, Kurt 

_______________________________________________
Ldapext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ldapext

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 09:07:28 -0800

It's come to my attention that three paragraphs got mangled
in this revision.  The remainder of the document are as
intended.  As only background information was affected,
please continue to review and comment on the I-D, but
with changes noted below.

The first paragraph of Section 1.1 should read:
  Section 2 of BCP 47 [RFC3066] describes the language tag format
  which is used in LDAP.  Briefly, it is a string of ASCII letters    
  and hyphens.  Examples include "fr", "en-US" and "ja-JP".  Language
  tags are case insensitive.  For example, the language tag "en-us"
  is the same as "EN-US".

The second paragraph of Section 1.2 should read:
  A language range matches a language tag if it is exactly equal to
  the tag, or if it is exactly equal to a prefix of the tag such that
  the first character following the prefix is "-".  The special tag
  "*" matches all tags.

The third paragraph of Section 1.3 should read:
  An attribute with one or more tagging options is a direct subtype
  of each attribute of the same with all but one of the tagging
  options.  If the attribute's type is a direct subtype of some other
  type, then the attribute is also a direct subtype of the attribute
  whose description consists of the supertype and all of the
  tagging options.  That is, "CN;x-bar;x-foo" is a direct subtype
  of "CN;x-bar", "CN;x-foo", and "name;x-bar;x-foo".  Note that
  "CN" is a subtype of "name".

---

From: Hallvard B Furuseth <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 18:23:27 +0100

>   the first character following the prefix is "-".  The special tag

"*" does not match <opt-char> in RFC2251 section 4.1.5 (Attribute
Description):
   <opt-char> ::=  ASCII-equivalent letters, numbers and hyphen

Also, if "*" matches all tags and not just all language tags, that
belongs in an RFC about tags in general (i.e. with a more general title
than language tags).

If you just meant to match all language tags, "lang-" is enough.

-- 
Hallvard

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 09:32:06 -0800

Hallvard,

I think you are taking this paragraph out of context.  The
paragraph is providing an overview of language ranges as
described in BCP 47.  Please reread all of Section 1.2
with the second paragraph replaced as indicated.

Kurt

---

From: Hallvard B Furuseth <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 18:38:27 +0100

Kurt D. Zeilenga writes:
> The paragraph is providing an overview of language ranges as
> described in BCP 47.

Oh.  I commented on the wrong error.

>   the first character following the prefix is "-".  The special tag
                                                                  ^^^^
                                                    should be    "range"
>   "*" matches all tags.

Though I suggest you add to the paragraph:

  ", but is written as "lang-" in LDAP."