Subject: [ldapext] information on access control

From: Shari Galitzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 12:57:08 -0500

Hi,

I'm trying to find some information on current efforts to specify standards
for access control for LDAP directories.  I see access control is an area
being worked on but cannot find any information.  Can you point me to some
information? 

Thanks a lot,
Shari Galitzer
Principal Security Engineer
Phone: 608-251-6414
Fax: 608-663-6332

Entrust/CygnaCom

---

From: Leif Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 19:42:55 +0100

Shari Galitzer wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> I'm trying to find some information on current efforts to specify 
> standards for access control for LDAP directories.  I see access control 
> is an area being worked on but cannot find any information.  Can you 
> point me to some information?
> 

There is only one individual draft submission from Steven Legg on
use of X.500 acl. Other than that, no work is beeing done (to my
knowledge).

draft-legg-ldap-acm-admin-01.txt
draft-legg-ldap-acm-bac-01.txt
draft-legg-ldap-admin-00.txt

	MVH leifj

_______________________________________________
Ldapext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ldapext

---

From: Jim Willeke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 18:18:47 -0500

There was some work going on in the LDUP groups related to replication. 
The last draft I could find was 08 and it has expired.
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ldapext-acl-model-08.txt

I see Chris Apple has an Article at:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.ldup/112

-jim

Shari Galitzer wrote:

> standards for access control for LDAP directories.  I see access 
> control is an area being worked on but cannot find any information.  
> Can you point me to some information?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> *Shari Galitzer*

---

From: Rob Byrne - Sun Microsystems <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 10:40:47 +0100

Shari,

I'm sure others will point you to any recent documents issued on this
(LDUP, Stephens's x.500 acl usage etc.).  The Open group also appears to
be dabbling in this area....

However to give you some perspective as a directory vendor...we feel
that the opportunity has been missed for standard LDAP acl and that the
level of inter-vendor integration/synchronization implied by a standard
acl model (and repl model) will more realistically be achived by meta
directory/directory proxy type solutions.

You will find discussions on this on this list's archive (eg.
subject: moving access control discussion to LDUP) or on the
LDUP archive.

Rob.