Subject: [ldapext] draft-zeilenga-ldap-noop comments

From: Hallvard B Furuseth <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 18:49:58 +0100

What does an operation with the no-op control return if the control
is not appropriate for the operation?  Is behavior undefined, or
maybe it returns unavailableCriticalExtension?

draft-zeilenga-ldap-noop-03.txt says:

> 1.  Overview

>   It is often desirable to be able to determine if a directory [X.500]

I suggest s/X.500/RFC3377/.  The X.500 reference is confusing, since
the rest of the draft only applies to LDAP directories and not X.500
directories.

>  This No-Op control is not intended to be to a "effective access"
>  mechanism [RFC2820, U12].

s/a/an/.

> 2.  No-Op Control

>   A result code of noOperation
>   (TBD) indicates that the server discovered no reason why the operation
>   would fail if submitted without the No-Op control.

I don't know what TBD means?

-- 
Hallvard

_______________________________________________
Ldapext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ldapext

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 11:17:51 -0800

>maybe it returns unavailableCriticalExtension?

That behavior is defined (for all controls) by Section 4.1.12 of
RFC 2251.

>the rest of the draft only applies to LDAP directories and not X.500

I'll replace this citation with one to [RFC2251] after the next
word, "operation", in the sentence.

>I don't know what TBD means?

IANA assigned.  I'll replace that with IANA-ASSIGNED-CODE.