Subject: [ldapext] True filter vs. (objectClass=*)

From: Hallvard B Furuseth <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 15:13:24 +0100

I suggest to add this statement to draft-zeilenga-ldap-t-f:

   Whenever the "(objectClass=*)" filter will succeed (including
   reading the Root DSE), the "(&)" filter will also succeed.

rfc2251 section 3.4 explicitly says the (objectClass=*) filter
should be used to read the root DSE.  It does _not_ say 'any filter
which matches the root DSE', so as currently defined the TRUE filter
might not work here.  (OTOH, there is one filter which properly may
succeed when TRUE fails: (objectClass=subschema) to read schema.)

-- 
Hallvard

_______________________________________________
Ldapext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ldapext

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 09:55:17 -0800

>   reading the Root DSE), the "(&)" filter will also succeed.

Succeed?  As it match the DSE?  or returned by the search operation?

I've written this I-D to limit its scope to the evaluation of Filters.
It has no impact beyond that.

>might not work here.

This I-D does not alter any TS, including RFC 2251, which mandates a
particular filter in a specific cases.   That is, this I-D only extends
the general filter capabilities.  It does not alter when and where
those general filter capabilities may be used.

Hence, I suggest adding:
  It is noted that certain search operations, such as those used to   
  retrieve information from subschema subentries [RFC2251], require use
  of particular filters.  This document does not change these requirements.

Kurt

---

From: Hallvard B Furuseth <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 15:14:54 +0100

> Succeed?  As it match the DSE?  or returned by the search operation?

s/succeed/match/.

> particular filter in a specific cases.

I didn't mean to.  Perhaps I should have put "If a server supports
True/False filters," in front of the statement.

> That is, this I-D only extends

I don't see why my suggestion (as clarified above) does that either.

>   of particular filters.  This document does not change these requirements.

I'm fine with that too, if you also include this modification:

    These filters are commonly used when requesting DSA-
    specific Entries (DSEs)

..."except the root DSE"...

    which do not necessarily have 'objectClass'
    attributes.

That was the statement I was thinking of in my original message.  I
thought you meant it should be possible to read all DSEs with the "(&)"
filter.

-- 
Hallvard