Subject: Re: [ldapext] RFC 4533 implementations?

From: Pierangelo Masarati <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 18:54:38 +0100

RL 'Bob' Morgan wrote:
> 
> Among the many recent LDAP related RFCs is:
> 
> 4533 The Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) Content
>      Synchronization Operation. K. Zeilenga, J.H. Choi. June 2006.
>      (Format: TXT=73895 bytes) (Status: EXPERIMENTAL)
> 
> I'm aware that OpenLDAP has included implementations of both client and 
> server sides of this protocol for a while now.  I'm curious whether 
> there are any other implementations, in particular implementations that 
> might support content synchronization between an (Open)LDAP directory 
> and non-directory contexts such as Java- or Windows-based application 
> systems.

I have recently committed to OpenLDAP's HEAD code an independent 
client-side implementation of RFC 4533 which is basically a C-API that 
is intended to allow client-side content synchronization, i.e. to 
maintain a local cache of partial data, possibly updated live in case of 
refreshAndPersist mode.  As such, it's pure RFC 4533, while slapd's 
built-in client side contains some implementor-specific extension to 
improve replication performances.  I guess it doesn't really count as 
another implementation, since it's part of OpenLDAP, though.

p.

_______________________________________________
Ldapext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ldapext

---

From: David Boreham <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 11:32:39 -0700

Does anyone know if it is possible to proxy Active Directory's
sync protocol (dirsync) to RFC4533 ?

If it is then it would be interesting/useful to build such a proxy
because it would make AD compatible with RFC4533 clients.

I know quite a bit about dirsync, having implemented two different
sync products that use it, but I know next to nothing about 4533
at this point so excuse me if I'm floating off in space... a quick
read of the rfc draft tells me that they're at least superficially
semantically similar.

I do see a fair but of un-met interest in an open source
general purpose LDAP sync tool. Wider support for 4533
I think would help.